Gov’t Secures US$50M for Rural Electrification

first_imgThe dedication of a 60Kilowatt Micro-hydro power plant in Yandohun, Lofa County, has set the pace for the construction of several more throughout the 15 political sub-divisions of Liberia. These hydro-plants would help to light rural communities with reliable and affordable electricity.To construct similar Micro-hydro power plants and make the nationwide rural electrification program a reality, the government of Liberia through the Rural and Renewable Energy Agency (RREA) at the Ministry of Lands, Mines and Energy (MLME) has announced two of its partners have appropriated US$50 million.President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, made the request in 2008 to Eugene Shannon, then Minister of Lands, Mines and Energy, to establish a prototype Rural and Renewable Energy Agency within the ministry to provide power to rural dwellers.Making the disclosure at the Yandohun Micro-hydro plant dedication ceremony on Wednesday February 19, the Executive Director of RREA, Mr. Augustus Goanue, said the World Bank and African Development Bank (AfDB) had appropriated US$25 million each for similar projects across the country.Mr. Goanue said that the RREA, through assistances from President Ellen Johnson, has been capacitated to become a functioning agency able to mobilize new renewable energy services and investment for rural areas to meet demands in a technically reliable and affordable manner.“This newly designed 60Kilowatt Micro-hydro Power Project costs US$40,000.00. This amount covers civil works, electromechanical equipment, powerhouse, transmission, distribution, customer’s internal wiring and connections. This could also be done in other parts of the country. What is left to do is for us to identify the ideal areas for the construction of other Micro-hydro plants,” the RREA boss said. He added, “This Yandohun project is unique and serves as a model for similar communities throughout the country. Because of various socio-economic benefits associated with this project, it will contribute greatly to the RREA’s purpose of facilitating and accelerating the economic transformation of rural Liberia.”After dedicating the hydro plant, President Sirleaf proceeded to the transmission site, which she described as “incredible,” and challenged stakeholders in the energy sector to speed up similar projects since the funds for several more had been secured. World Bank’s Country Manager, Iguna Dobraja, who was present at the ceremony, confirmed that that the Bank had appropriated US$25 million for rural energy in Liberia.She said that it was a great honor to be present at the ceremony and lauded government for their support and strong partnership. She said that the project and many other more to be funded by the Bank, would transform the benefitting communities. She said this would be done by enabling students to study their lessons, encouraging families to engage in meaningful businesses and allowing medical practitioners to render adequate services to their patients.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Juneteenth commemorated with concert

first_imgIn celebration of Juneteenth, the Pan African Caribbean Association of Fort St. John will be holding a free jazz concert.The Canadian Juneteenth Jazz and Heritage Concert will be in honour of the late Canadian jazz great Oscar Peterson. Captain Ron Myers, an American army officer, will playing at the North Peace Cultural Centre, starting at 2 p.m Saturday. Ahead of the concert, there will also be an art exhibit of Alcan Highway army engineers, beginning at 1 p.m.- Advertisement -Juneteenth commemorates African American freedoms and heritage. Although traditionally an American observance, in the Peace, a memorial is being held to remember the African American army engineers who helped build the Alaska Highway during the Second World War, as well as the Sikanni Chief River Bridge.On Monday, Capt. Myers will hold a memorial at the bridge.last_img read more

Drew says he wanted to renegotiate

first_img“Scott said J.D. Drew wanted to stay in L.A. if we could work out a deal,” Colletti said. “But I told him I wasn’t interested in renegotiating the (existing) deal.” Corner intrigue The competition for the starting third base job, which wasn’t really supposed to be a competition at all, continues to heat up. Andy La Roche didn’t get a hit in the Dodgers’ victory over the Red Sox, but he did take an all-out dive into the front row chasing a foul pop by Drew in the sixth inning. La Roche is batting .300. Meanwhile, Wilson Betemit, whose job it is to lose, took another step toward losing it. He went 0 for 2 with two strikeouts and a walk. For the spring, he is 0 for 9 with four strikeouts, hasn’t hit a ball out of the infield and has committed two errors. – Tony Jackson So we wanted to add some years to the contract.” Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti confirmed that Boras made such a request when the two met last Nov. 6 for what Colletti thought was going to be a discussion about two other Dodgers free agents who were Boras clients, pitchers Eric Gagne and Greg Maddux. Colletti said Boras also reminded him at that meeting of Drew’s escape clause and raised the possibility that Drew might exercise it. Colon update Bartolo Colon is progressing so fast that manager Mike Scioscia on Monday dared to say the right-hander might be pitching for the Angels in late April. Colon is expected to pitch from a mound today for the first time since throwing one inning July 26 at Tampa Bay. He will throw an eight-minute bullpen session using exclusively fastballs. “I think it’s certainly a possibility that we’re going to see him pitching for us some time in April if there are no setbacks,” Scioscia said. “If not, (he could pitch) shortly after we make the turn into May, based on where he is right now and how he feels. “It’s contingent on how he comes out of his throwing session, how his body responds. As you get on a mound, you start stressing your body and testing it. If he keeps passing it, he’s going to come quickly.” Colon threw on flat ground from 180 feet on Sunday and the session was deemed impressive. “We’re pleasantly surprised although I think knowing Bart and how hard he works we anticipated him on a mound some time in the middle of March,” Scioscia said. Wever not ready Jered Weaver, meanwhile, isn’t expected to have his first bullpen session until later in the week. But that timetable does not mean Weaver’s return to rotation will come after Colon, even though he currently lags behind his teammate during recovery. Since Weaver’s biceps tendinitis is not as damaging as Colon’s rotator cuff injury, Weaver’s recovery window is expected to be shorter. Scioscia still insists there is a chance Weaver could make his first start on April 6. Lackey throws John Lackey, who lost between seven and eight pounds over the last six days after a bout of bronchitis, threw a bullpen session. It was his first time on a mound since last week’s intrasquad game. – Doug Padilla 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!center_img Former Dodgers right fielder J.D. Drew said Monday that Scott Boras, his Los Angeles-based agent, tried to renegotiate Drew’s five-year, $55 million contract with the Dodgers last winter before Drew made the decision to exercise the escape clause that had been negotiated into the deal two years earlier. “My name had been mentioned in some trade rumors,” Drew said just before his new team, the Boston Red Sox, suffered a 2-1 Grapefruit League loss to the Dodgers before 8,249 at City of Palms Park. “I wanted the security of knowing I would be in one place for a long time. last_img read more

DONEGAL LOCKSMITH WARNS OLD DETERRENTS NO LONGER WORK

first_imgA leading locksmith has warned that people need to update their locks and security systems.Statistics released show that there have been 461 burglaries across Donegal over the past twelve months.Conal Kelly of CK Locksmiths in Letterkenny says previous ways of warding or thieves no longer work. “Sadly, the days of leaving a hallway light on as an effective deterrent for thieves are gone,” he cautions.Conal says that there are a number of cost-effective and simple steps a home owner can take to reduce the risk of a break-in, including fitting good quality door and window locks or installing a secure safe to protect cash and other valuables kept at home.“Burglars are opportunistic. Many properties have weak door locks and poor security precautions. When an opportunistic burglar comes across an insecure property, someone’s going to have a bad day,” he says. The cost can often run to thousands of euro, while the impact on victims’ lives can be much worse.CK Locksmiths can be contacted on 074 91 22094.  DONEGAL LOCKSMITH WARNS OLD DETERRENTS NO LONGER WORK was last modified: January 29th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:burglaryCK Locksmithlast_img read more

DDTV: ATLANTIC ROAR: WATCH INCREDIBLE SHORT FILM ON OUR AMAZING COUNTY

first_imgDDTV: An incredible video which celebrates the love we have for our county and country has gone viral! The superbly created video, which was filmed in Donegal was released yesterday and has already got over 43,000 views!Michael McLaughlin starred and directed in this superb short film.Atlantic Roar’ is a short film shot entirely on the Wild Atlantic Way on the Inishowen Peninsula, Co Donegal – using an entirely local crew.It is a film describing the little things that we would miss about living in Ireland and Donegal, so it’s fitting that they released it on Saint Patrick’s day. DDTV: ATLANTIC ROAR: WATCH INCREDIBLE SHORT FILM ON OUR AMAZING COUNTY was last modified: March 18th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Atlantic RoarDDTVdonegalFeaturesMichael McLaughlinnewslast_img read more

Suspended sentence for man who spat at bookies employee

first_imgA man who spat in the direction of a woman in a Letterkenny bookmaker has been given a one-month suspended sentence.James McGlynn (62) of Calhame, Letterkenny was charged with assault, of threatening/abusive/insulting behaviour and of being intoxicated in a public place when he appeared before Letterkenny District Court. At around 8.40pm on 21 October, 2016, McGlynn was observed ‘acting aggressively and spitting in the direction of the injured party’, an employee at Paddy Power on Main Street, Letterkenny.Solicitor Kieran Dillon said that McGlynn’s health is deteriorating.“He deeply regrets this and is ashamed by his behaviour to the young lady,” Mr Dillon said.“He went in to apologise and it was graciously accepted. He bought flowers as a gesture of remorse and he has tried to make amends.“It is a bad situation, which he acknowledges and he realises that there is a lot of baggage that he carries.”Judge Paul Kelly handed down a one-month sentence, to be suspended for 12 months, and on the other counts McGlynn was fined €100 and €50.Suspended sentence for man who spat at bookies employee was last modified: September 11th, 2017 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:James McGlynnJudge Paul KellyletterkennyLetterkenny District Courtlast_img read more

GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY SENIORS ENJOY FIRST LEAGUE OUTING AGAINST DUNGLOE

first_imgGlenswilly notes Seniors have good league win over DungloeThe seniors had their first league outing of the new season against Dungloe at home on Sunday. The lads came away with a hard-earned 1-15 to 2-7 victory over their opponents. Under 16s The U16 boys had their first league game at home to neighbours Termon at the weekend. A great contest which ended in Glen lads victors 3.8 to 1.11.Their next game is at home to Downings this Sunday throw in 12.BingoBingo continues in the hall each Wednesday starting at 9pm. With some excellent cash prizes, the crowds are getting bigger each week. LottoThere was no winner in last week’s lotto jackpot which is now a considerable €,180. Last week’s match 3 winner was M and M Gallagher from Cloghan.CongratsThere was a unification of Glenswilly and St Eunans last weekend after one certain local wedding. Nicola McDaid swapped her loyalties and was spotted outside O’Donnell Park having some wedding pictures taken after walking down the aisle with well-known St Eunans player Kieran Sharkey!U12s Training for the U12 boys continues in the hall on Monday nights from 6-7pm and in the Aura on Friday nights, also from 6-7pm. Please be there each night at 5.50pm.Advertising Anyone wishing to advertise their company on the pitch hoardings should contact Bryan Faul.Items for notes All coaches, mentors and managers and anyone in the club who wants an item included in the notes should sent it by email to stephenwmaguire@gmail.com before 8pm on Tuesday evening.GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY SENIORS ENJOY FIRST LEAGUE OUTING AGAINST DUNGLOE was last modified: March 24th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Glenswilly GAA noteslast_img read more

DELAYS IN LONG-TERM ILLNESS REFUNDS MUST BE ADDRESSED – McCONALOGUE

first_imgFianna Fáil TD Charlie McConalogue has called on the Health Minister to ensure that the HSE refunds money owed to people with Long Term Illness cards as soon as possible.Charlie McConalogue TDThousands of people are due a rebate after they were mistakenly charged for their prescriptions, and despite assurances that the money would be repaid, many people still have not had the rebate returned to them.Deputy McConalogue explained, “There are a dozens of people across Donegal who were wrongly charged for their prescriptions, many of whom require a variety of medications to treat their illness. Former Health Minister James Reilly presided over an increase in prescription charges, from 50c to €2.50 per item, placing a substantial financial burden on these people and their families. People who paid the maximum fees every month will be due a refund of almost €100, however many people have still not received their rebates. “It took the HSE years to recognise that a mistake had been made and this year, they finally admitted that repayments should be issued to all affected. Following representations I made on behalf of a number of constituents, the HSE confirmed that the money would be issued by the end of October,” he said.The Donegal TD says none of the people who contacted me have had their refunds issued to date, and the HSE is now stating that the repayments will be made “in due course”.He added that this is a clear stalling tactic and is completely unacceptable.“These people, some of whom have seriously debilitating conditions like cystic fibrosis and multiple sclerosis, have already been put under unnecessary financial pressure, and now their refunds are being needlessly withheld. “It is unfair to expect these families, who have campaigned for years to have their payments reimbursed, to wait even longer for money which should never have been taken from them in the first instance. Minister Varadkar needs to take a hands-on approach and ensure repayments are issued as soon as possible”.DELAYS IN LONG-TERM ILLNESS REFUNDS MUST BE ADDRESSED – McCONALOGUE was last modified: November 17th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Charlie McConalogue TDdonegalmedical refundslast_img read more

100 HOMES WITHOUT ELECTRICITY IN BRIDGEND

first_imgESB Networks is working to fix a fault with electricity supplies in Bridgend.They say 101 customers in the area lost power around 22.45pm.Crews say they hope to restore supplies around 2.30am 100 HOMES WITHOUT ELECTRICITY IN BRIDGEND was last modified: January 16th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bridgendcutESBPowerlast_img

Donegal woman had lucky escape after accident on ferry

first_imgA family headed to visit relatives in Donegal had a miraculous escape when a large object fell on their car.Donegal native Rosa Wakeham and her family were disembarking the ferry in Dublin when a large unidentified object smashed through the glass roof of their car.Rosa, her husband Michael and their three children were getting off the cross-channel ferry when the accident occurred yesterday. The family had been travelling from their home in Staffordshire, England.Michael said “We still don’t know what fell on us. We were very lucky nobody was injured.”Donegal woman had lucky escape after accident on ferry was last modified: March 31st, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:accidentdonegalferrylast_img read more