SWINE FLU BREAKING NEWS 2: Global case update, eyeing phase 6, probable cases, southern hemisphere viruses, WHO gathers clinical experts

first_img At a WHO media briefing today, Keiji Fukuda, MD, the WHO’s assistant director-general for health security, emphasized that the rationale for any future move to pandemic alert phase 6 wouldn’t be based on disease severity, but rather on sustained outbreaks in more than one WHO region. On Apr 29 the WHO raised the pandemic alert to its current level, phase 5, which signifies sustained community outbreaks in two or more countries within one WHO region. May 4, 2009 The CDC will work with international health authorities to monitor the southern hemisphere’s flu season, beginning shortly, to see how the novel H1N1 strain behaves in competition with other flu viruses. “That will tell us a lot about whether the virus is changing and what measures we might want to take in the fall,” Besser said. The CDC will begin reporting “probable” cases of flu in addition to confirmed cases to give a better sense of the size of the US epidemic, acting director Dr. Richard Besser said Monday. In addition to the 286 confirmed cases, there are more than 700 probable cases in the United States.center_img The World Health Organization (WHO) reported 1,085 confirmed cases of influenza A/H1N1 (swine flu) and 26 deaths in 21 countries as of 18:00 GMT (noon US EST) today, up from 985 cases in 20 countries reported earlier in the day. Mexico has reported 590 confirmed cases and 25 deaths. The WHO’s latest total reflects today’s updated US numbers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which stand at 286 cases and 1 death. [WHO update 14] Tomorrow the WHO will host its second scientific teleconference to address clinical issues surrounding patients who have influenza A/H1N1 (swine flu) infections, the WHO’s Fukuda said today at a media briefing. The conference will allow scientists to share information on crucial topics such as disease severity. The topic of the first teleconference, held on Apr 29, was the influenza situation in Mexico.last_img read more

Queensland’s next million-dollar suburbs

first_imgBen Ittensohn in high demand Paddington which was the only Brisbane suburb realestate.com.au expected to go back into the million-dollar median list by January.THESE three Queensland suburbs are housing the state’s next property millionaires, according to data crunched by realestate.com.au.According to realestate.com.au analysis of CoreLogic trends over the last three years, the next suburbs to cross the million-dollar median line mark a large triangle stretching from Central Queensland through to the New South Wales border and the capital city.For its sure bets to hit $1m median house prices in the next six months, REA backed Paddington in inner Brisbane, Castle Hill in Townsville and Tallebudgera in the southmost part of the Gold Coast.The first to cross the line to $1m was Townsville’s premier suburb, Castle Hill, which was expected to hit a seven digit median within the next two or so weeks.Its current median price was $950,000 with the forecast that it would be $1,040,105 in November.WEEKEND: Queenslanders galore on auction listBORROWING: Bank tightens loans on 91 suburbsTAX: Developers will be made to pay moreREA chief economist Nerida Conisbee said Townsville was starting to see a recovery from the mining downturn, which was “hitting premium suburbs first”.“This will likely extend to other suburbs over the next few years,” she said.Paddington in inner Brisbane, which was currently sitting on a median price just 2,000 below $1m, was expected to hit $1m in the new year. REA’s forecast was that Paddington would go to $1,000,452 in January.“In Brisbane, a million dollars still means something and you can still buy premium property in inner areas like Paddington,” Ms Conisbee said.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus1 day agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market1 day agoThe third area expected to go off – Tallebudgera on the NSW-Queensland border – was currently sitting on $917,750, with a million-dollar date set for January too. REA expected it to go to a median of $1,015,569 in about 10 weeks.“We’re constantly seeing high levels of demand for Gold Coast – more people from Sydney are turning to Gold Coast for affordable lifestyle options.”That’s all good news for Ben Ittensohn, 38, who has lived in Paddington since he was 21 and was now bringing up his children there.“I think it will always be on a trajectory for growth because of its proximity to city,” he said. “Relative to other cities like Melbourne and Sydney, it’s amazing we’re still talking about the million dollar mark.”Mr Ittensohn has two properties in the suburb, both of which he planned to hold on to long term.“The investment property is a unit and units are not doing too well right now but we are looking long term. In the short term though it always rents really easy,” he said.“We’d love to upgrade our house next year or in years to come. Does that mean we can stay in Paddington? I really hope so. Maybe we might have to push out to Bardon and other suburbs. We wouldn’t be able to afford to have three properties in Paddington.”The best thing about the suburb, he said, was the stroll to Suncorp stadium. “I’m a big Broncos fan and being close to Suncorp is great. It’s very handy walking distance to the stadium.”undefinedlast_img read more

Klopp confident Liverpool will seal Champions League spot

first_imgUnless Huddersfield can beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday, Liverpool will go into Sunday’s home game against Brighton knowing they must at least match Chelsea’s result against Newcastle, managed by former Reds boss Rafael Benitez.Should they fail, they would have to beat Real Madrid in this month’s Champions League final in Kiev to qualify for Europe’s premier club competition.“It’s my life, it’s our life, that we always make it a little bit more exciting,” Klopp told liverpoolfc.com.“We had these situations a few times and it will be, for sure, exciting because Brighton is in a good moment, they played fantastic against (Manchester) United.“But it’s all OK, as long as we have it in our own hands, life is good. We still have to take it then but we will try everything.”After five matches, including an emotionally draining two-legged Champions League semi-final, in 16 days Klopp has a full week to prepare for the crucial fixture.“I’m really happy that this very intense period is over now because we have one week to prepare for Brighton — that feels like a year and we will use that,” he added.Liverpool have suffered a fresh injury blow after England defender Joe Gomez was ruled out of the Champions League final and the World Cup following ankle surgery.A statement from the club confirmed Gomez’s season was over, saying: “The surgery means the 20-year-old will play no part in the remaining two fixtures of the 2017/18 campaign, or the World Cup finals with England.“However, Gomez will be ready for the start of Liverpool’s pre-season training schedule in July following a rehabilitation period.”Liverpool midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has already been ruled out of the World Cup in Russia with a knee injury.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Jurgen Klopp is confident Liverpool will seal a place in next season’s Champions League © AFP/File / Paul ELLISLondon, United Kingdom, May 8 – Jurgen Klopp is confident Liverpool will recover from a disappointing Premier League run to seal qualification for next season’s Champions League in their final game against Brighton.Defeat to Chelsea on Sunday, following damaging draws against Stoke and West Brom, has taken the race for Champions League football next season into the final week of the season.last_img read more