Guyana’s Hetmyer to lead Young West Indies at World Cup

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua, CMC – Guyana left-hander Shimron Hetmyer has been appointed captain of the West Indies Under-19 squad which will do battle in the ICC Youth World Cup starting this month in Bangladesh. Hetmyer, who has played six first class matches for Guyana Jaguars, is one of two players in the squad with first class experience – the other being Leeward Islands Hurricanes fast bowler Alzarri Joseph. Three Jamaicans are in the squad. They are batsman Shahid Crooks, spinner Michael Frew and fast bowler Odean Smith. Selection chief Clive Lloyd said he was confident the squad would do the Caribbean proud among international opposition. “We have put together a group of players we believe will perform for the West Indies,” the legendary former West Indies captain said. Hetmyer, a free-scoring top order batsman, will be making his second appearance in the Under-19 World Cup after also campaigning in the 2014 tournament in the United Arab Emirates. Joseph, meanwhile, has been viewed by selectors as a fabulous prospect. He made his debut for Hurricanes a year ago and has so far captured 17 wickets in five first class matches, with best figures of seven for 46 against Windward Islands Volcanoes last month. Prior to the start of the Under-19 World Cup, the Young Windies will take on Bangladesh in a three-match 50-over series in Dhaka, which will form part of their preparation. The Under-19 World Cup runs from January 22 to February 14. SQUAD – Shimron Hetmyer (captain), Keemo Paul (vice captain), Kacey Carty, Shahid Crooks, Michael Frew, Jyd Goolie, Tevin Imlach, Ryan John, Alzarri Joseph, Kirstan Kallicharan, Obed McCoy, Gidron Pope, Odean Smith, Shamar Springer, Emmanuel Stewart.last_img read more

Over 2,400 homes without power as strong winds strike Donegal

first_imgA large number of properties across East Donegal are without power this afternoon due to an electrical fault.Over 2,400 homes, businesses and farms are affected by the outage, which started at 1pm.ESB networks has recorded 815 customers in Convoy and 1622 in Rossgeir without power at present. Crews are currently working on the faults, which are expected to be restored by 4.45pm.Elsewhere, 12 homes in Glenties have been hit by another power outage. Supplies are due to be restored by 3.30pm.   Over 2,400 homes without power as strong winds strike Donegal was last modified: April 4th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

All About Wall Rot

first_img Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to this article as well as GBA’s complete library of premium articles and construction details. Contractors who specialize in repairing rotten walls won’t run out of work any time soon. The epidemic of wall-rot problems that began more than 20 years ago shows no signs of abating. In fact, wet-wall specialists are often called to investigate problems in developments where most of the homes have rotting walls — and in some cases, these homes are only six years old.You may be wondering, what does this topic have to do with green construction? The answer is simple: if a six-year-old house requires $40,000 of repairs because the walls have turned to mush, then the house wasn’t very green — because rebuilding the house has an environmental impact.Some people have called this an EIFS crisis, or a stucco crisis, or a leaky condo crisis. But wall rot isn’t restricted to homes with just one kind of siding or one kind of sheathing; nor is it restricted to condominiums.This isn’t just an OSB crisis. Admittedly, OSB rots very quickly. Because of the speed at which it rots, Mark Parlee, a builder in Iowa who provided many of the photos shown here, calls OSB wall sheathing “vertical mulch.” But plenty of walls with plywood sheathing and board sheathing have also turned to oatmeal. It just takes a little longer with plywood or boards than it does with OSB.This isn’t just a stucco crisis. While it’s true that some types of siding are more forgiving than others — vinyl siding is the safest siding, while stucco and adhered manufactured stone are the riskiest — choosing the right siding won’t be enough to keep you out of trouble, especially if your windows aren’t flashed properly.If you’re a builder, and you still think that siding keeps walls dry, study the photos on this page carefully. Start Free Trial Already a member? Log incenter_img This article is only available to GBA Prime Memberslast_img read more

Source: Pistons finalizing deal to acquire Blake Griffin

first_imgBrace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES MOST READ The addition of Griffin would give Detroit’s frontcourt another standout alongside Andre Drummond, but it also would represent a clear change in course from the roster that the Pistons had assembled. Detroit acquired Bradley in a trade with Boston last offseason, but he’s in the final season of his contract. Harris has been impressive for the Pistons this season, shooting a career-best 41 percent from 3-point range.Although neither team announced the deal Monday, there was plenty of reaction on social media. Harris had a message on his accounts thanking Detroit for its support. Griffin’s Twitter account had its own message with no words — just an image of actor Will Smith with a surprised expression on his face.For the Clippers, moving Griffin would continue a makeover of a franchise that has never made it past the second round of the playoffs.The Clippers traded All-Star point guard Chris Paul to Houston last summer. He had been credited with bringing respectability to the team that was once the laughingstock of the league. Without Paul, Los Angeles won its first four games to open the season, and then lost nine of its next 11. The team is one game above .500 going into Tuesday night’s game against Portland.Paul’s replacement, Patrick Beverley, has missed the entire season after right knee surgery. Also missing time have been DeAndre Jordan, Danilo Gallinari, Austin Rivers and Milos Teodosic. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers PLAY LIST 01:48NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers00:50Trending Articles03:46Lacson: PH lost about P161.5B tax revenue from big trading partners in 201701:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Heat complete another season series over Mavs with 95-88 win Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. ESPN first reported the deal.Griffin is averaging 22.6 points, 7.9 rebounds and 5.4 assists in 33 games this season, but the Clippers have been plagued by injuries and are ninth in the Western Conference standings.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutDetroit is struggling as well. The Pistons have lost eight straight heading into Tuesday night’s game against Cleveland.pic.twitter.com/1uoIZ0Sxcc— Blake Griffin (@blakegriffin32) January 30, 2018The 28-year-old Griffin has been the face of the Clippers while playing his entire career with the team. Last July, he agreed to a $171 million, five-year deal, ending a brief flirtation with free agency. He told his teammates, coach Doc Rivers and owner Steve Ballmer, “I want my legacy to be a Clipper.”ADVERTISEMENT 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Read Next The deal didn’t include a no-trade clause.The Clippers drafted Griffin first overall out of Oklahoma in 2009. However, he missed the 2009-10 season after surgery on his broken left kneecap, the first of several injuries that have marred his career.Griffin missed 21 games last season and 47 in 2015-16 because of injuries.As a rookie, he was an All-Star, won the slam dunk contest and was named NBA Rookie of the Year.He has averaged 21.6 points, 9.3 rebounds and 4.2 assists in his career.Detroit’s season was looking promising until a late-December injury to point guard Reggie Jackson. The Pistons have stumbled while he’s been out with a sprained right ankle.ADVERTISEMENT Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises View comments Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin hangs on the net after throwing the ball out of bounds while trying to pass it to guard Lou Williams with seconds left in an NBA basketball game against the Minnesota Timberwolves, Monday, Jan. 22, 2018, in Los Angeles. The Timberwolves won 126-118. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)DETROIT — The Detroit Pistons were finalizing a trade Monday night to acquire star forward Blake Griffin from the Los Angeles Clippers, according to a person with knowledge of the deal.The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the trade had not been announced. The Pistons would send forward Tobias Harris, guard Avery Bradley and center Boban Marjanovic to Los Angeles, with the Clippers also receiving draft picks. Detroit also would receive forward Brice Johnson and center Willie Reed.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

Moyes curbs Batshuayi & Joao Mario talk

first_imgTransfers Batshuayi and Joao Mario talk curbed by West Ham boss Moyes Ryan Benson 02:29 1/20/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) kenedy-batshuayi-cropped Getty Images Transfers Chelsea Michy Batshuayi West Ham United Premier League Rumours had suggested the Chelsea striker and Andy Carroll could be involved in a swap, while Inter’s Portuguese forward is another mooted target David Moyes did not attend Chelsea’s FA Cup replay against Norwich City to scout Michy Batshuayi, while the West Ham boss has dealt a blow to the Blues in their reported chase of Andy Carroll.Belgium international Batshuayi has been strongly linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge in January after struggling to make an impact at Chelsea in the year-and-a-half since moving from Marseille.Batshuayi – who scored for Chelsea against Norwich – had been suggested as a potential makeweight in a deal to take Carroll the other way, with Antonio Conte’s side linked with several surprising options, including Stoke City veteran Peter Crouch. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player But Moyes attempted to end those rumours in his column for the London Evening Standard, with Carroll unlikely to play again for anyone this month.”Categorically, I did not go to Stamford Bridge to watch Batshuayi or any other player in particular,” he wrote.”I like to get out and watch plenty of matches, I hadn’t seen Norwich this season and there were some players there who had been mentioned to me as having been doing well.”What may defuse much of the speculation is that the ankle injury Andy picked up against West Brom is sufficiently serious that he will not be able to play again this month anyway and it could even need an operation to put things right, although that has not yet been confirmed.”Moyes, meanwhile, has also sought to curb talk suggesting that Inter winger Joao Mario is among those on his January wish list.The Portugal international, who has also been linked with Manchester United, is a player the Hammers boss admires, but one he is reluctant to speculate on.The Scot added: “I think he’s a name which has been mentioned but whether he’s from Inter Milan or Chelsea or wherever I’m not talking about players from other clubs,” Moyes added. “He’s an interesting player, he’s a good footballer and certainly very talented.”last_img read more

‘What’s Your Call?’ Referee Video Resources

first_imgTouch Football Australia (TFA) is excited to launch our first targeted referee video resource collection ‘What’s Your Call?’TFA continue to build video resources available via the website www.dartfish.tv/touchfootballaustralia  along with other tools to assist referees, coaches and participants at any level to help develop their Touch Football knowledge. The TFA Strategic Participation High Performance 2011-15 Plans identify the objective to ‘provide quality experiences for everyone in Touch Football’. TFA continues to use the dartfish platform to drive the following key outcomes: 3.b – Innovative processes geared at athlete development (junior, senior, elite, female, indigenous)3.c – A highly valued elite product which is positioned at the pinnacle of our pathway3.d – A strong and supportive refereeing structure to support participant needs3.e – A strong and supportive coaching structure to support participant needs4.c – Development of supportive and innovative information technology systems to support the sport at all levels. What’s Your Call is a free collection of video scenarios for referees, coaches and participants that will be released publically from Monday, 14 December.  It contains a series of videos to develop skills and knowledge of the rules in decision making scenarios. This collection will continue to grow throughout 2016 and beyond. For additional resources information visit the TFA website – www.touchfootball.com.au. Related Fileswhat_s_your_call_resource_launch-pdfRelated LinksWhat’s Your Call?last_img read more

11 days agoMason slams Wales handling of James head injury

first_imgMason slams Wales handling of James head injuryby Paul Vegas11 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveRyan Mason has slammed Wales’ handling of a head injury to Manchester United winger Daniel James in Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Croatia.James appeared to be unconscious after clashing with opponent Domagoj Vida, but was allowed to continue in the match.Former Spurs midfielder Mason suffered a career-ending concussion in 2018 and believes Wales were wrong to permit James to play on.”Daniel James was just knocked out unconscious! Yet three minutes later he has been allowed back onto the pitch,” Mason posted on his Twitter account.Both James and Wales coach Ryan Giggs denied the Manchester United winger was unconscious after the incident. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Jamaica to Host FAO Regional Conference March 5 to 8

first_img It will focus on four main areas – eradicating hunger, overweight and obesity; ending rural poverty; promoting climate resilient and sustainable agriculture; and creating a new FAO to move towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Jamaica will be hosting the 35th Session of the Food and Agriculture Organization’s (FAO) Regional Conference for Latin America and the Caribbean from March 5 to 8 at the Montego Bay Conference Centre in Rose Hall, St. James.The three-day event is expected to attract ministers of agriculture, social development, education, health and environment and other high-level officials from the 33 FAO member nations across the Americas to discuss challenges and priority matters related to food and agriculture.It will focus on four main areas – eradicating hunger, overweight and obesity; ending rural poverty; promoting climate resilient and sustainable agriculture; and creating a new FAO to move towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).Minister of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. Karl Samuda said that Jamaica is happy to be hosting the regional conference.“I think this a signal honour to Jamaica, because Jamaica is on the right path and we have the measures that are important to move agriculture forward in our entire region,” he said at a briefing held on Tuesday (February 13) at his New Kingston offices in St. Andrew.“We welcome this opportunity, and we look forward to this tremendous exchange where the conference will give all of our colleague agricultural ministers and other very distinguished people from the Caribbean and Latin American region the opportunity to put on the agenda the concerns that they have, the ways in which they are approaching them, the strategies they think can assist, and the extent to which the FAO can be of help,” he added.FAO Representative for Jamaica, The Bahamas and Belize, Dr. Gillian Smith, said she is elated that Jamaica has agreed to host the regional conference.She noted that this year’s staging is particularly important, because the region is at a crossroads in terms of food security.Information provided by the FAO indicates that hunger has risen in Latin America and the Caribbean for the first time in decades, reaching 42.5 million, while obesity affects 96 million people.Dr. Smith said that in addition to the rise in hunger and chronic non-communicable diseases, “climate change is affecting and exacerbating the issues that are related to our agricultural productivity and our production, and affecting the diversity of rural livelihoods that are available to our people”.She noted that the organisation remains committed to collaborating with the people and the Government of Jamaica “to address fundamental issues relating to the country’s national development in the areas of food and nutrition, agriculture, rural development, fisheries, forestry, decent employment and social protection”.“The FAO looks forward to working closely with Jamaica in the areas of overweight, obesity, agricultural production and productivity, and also resilience of our agricultural food systems from farm to fork,” she added.The Regional Conference, convened every two years, helps to set the work priorities of the FAO in the region.It was last held in Jamaica 50 years ago and last held in the Caribbean in the Caribbean in 1998. “I think this a signal honour to Jamaica, because Jamaica is on the right path and we have the measures that are important to move agriculture forward in our entire region,” he said at a briefing held on Tuesday (February 13) at his New Kingston offices in St. Andrew. Story Highlights Jamaica will be hosting the 35th Session of the Food and Agriculture Organization’s (FAO) Regional Conference for Latin America and the Caribbean from March 5 to 8 at the Montego Bay Conference Centre in Rose Hall, St. James.last_img read more