View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. But squads which miss out on taking Standhardinger could still get their man as the deadline for local-born aspirants is on October 12.The 2017 PBA Rookie Draft is on October 29 at Robinson’s Place Manila.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Rice, Castro deliver as TNT survives Rain or Shine for semis berth LATEST STORIES In ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ Comedy and Drama Collide DAY6 is for everybody Mos Burger to open in Manila; teases with a pop-up Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson “If we can get a guy like Standhardinger, with his experience and demeanor on the court and his skillset, he can easily turn this franchise around,” said Kia coach Chris Gavina, whose team owns the number one pick in this year’s draft.The same goes with NLEX coach Yeng Guiao, though he’s aware of the Road Warriors’ position at number two.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“We don’t have any plans yet, but the obvious route for us is if Standhardinger goes number one, maybe we’ll go with Kiefer Ravena,” the fiery mentor said, touching on the possibility of the 23-year-old playmaker declaring for the draft. “If Kiefer is number one, then we’ll go with Standhardinger. That’s really the obvious thing we could come up to right now.”Picking third, Blackwater still hasn’t come up with its wishlist. “We still need to know more about whose in the draft,” said team manager Johnson Martines. Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Photo from Fiba.comDespite the uncertainty surrounding his status, Christian Standhardinger remains a solid prospect for the top teams drafting in the 2017 PBA Rookie Draft.Three of the four teams picking in the upper thirds of the annual rookie selection expressed their desire to sign up the 28-year-old big man even if he had already signed a contract with Hong Kong Eastern Long Lions in the ASEAN Basketball League.ADVERTISEMENT How to help the Taal evacuees MOST READ Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson But Phoenix coach Ariel Vanguardia, meanwhile, is hoping against the odds that somehow, the Fil-German forward would fall through the cracks and drop to four.“I’m hopeful that Standhardinger will be available when our time comes,” said Vanguardia with the Fuel Masters owning two first round selections.Though Standhardinger is locked in a live contract with Hong Kong, his PBA draft application opens the chance for teams to claim his rights even when he’s out of the country until the end of the upcoming 2017-2018 ABL season. He could suit up in the 2018 PBA Commissioner’s Cup at the earliest.The team that does draft Standhardinger can work a buyout deal with the Long Lions, still granting if he could secure a release from his ABL team.Fanfare surrounding the hardworking bruiser shouldn’t come as a surprise, especially after his stellar play for Gilas Pilipinas in the Jones Cup, the 2017 Fiba Asia Cup, and the 2017 SEA Games.ADVERTISEMENT
Following an announcement by the Mayor of Georgetown that over 140 businesses in Georgetown owed taxes to City Hall, several of these errant business persons have since settled their accounts with the Mayor and City Council.This is according to the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), Debra Lewis. She told Guyana Times on Saturday that the Council has embarked on a campaign and has been engaging the Private Sector on the issue.Several business owners have also enquired about the possibly of setting up payment plans to reduce the taxes owed to the Council.“As it relates to rates even as the information is out there, persons are coming in and if it’s not to pay the rates they are seeking information as to how they can liquidate their accounts in this regard,” she explained.Lewis noted that the M&CC looks forward to a growing partnership with the Private Sector.She nevertheless reminded that some $8 billion is collectively owed by those business owners.Earlier this month, Georgetown Mayor Ubraj Narine called a press conference where he disclosed that just about 144 business proprietors have failed to pay taxes which attributes to the build-up of garbage in Georgetown.“There is only one tractor we have at this moment to remove all those skip bins and that tractor is currently down; however, we can do better but only if we get the resources from the taxpayers then we would be able to have two more tractors. There is a list with 144 business entities that due us tax and if these taxes can be paid up to the City Council, we will get the additional tractors so that we will be able to do a better job… they owe us billions, these high-end businesses,” he said.President of the Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI), Nicholas Boyer, in response said he is cognisant of the fact that some businesses in the city may run away from paying their taxes; however, he believes that direct appeals should be made to those establishments, rather than label every organisation with the same title.“Before you got to that stage of just calling out high-end businesses and so those comments may start to create a more contentious atmosphere… we understand why he is doing it because he may feel like these businesses have not been paying taxes over such and such a period so maybe he feels frustration,” Boyer explained.He added that the Chamber could have played the part of a mediator between those errant businesses and City Hall and seized the opportunity to encourage businesses to pay up their dues to M&CC.
Dust off the camera and don’t forget to take off the lens, as the Fort St. John Visitor Centre is persuading residents to take part in the eighth annual Photo Scavenger Hunt.Anyone can get involved and residents are encouraged to let their creativity shine.- Advertisement -The VIC will have a variety of clues for photographers and will also be handing out prizes for the best pictures in various categories.The Scavenger Hunt will take place from July 23 to Aug. 14 and residents can sign up at the Visitor Centre starting now and the list will be available on July 23.