LOCAL High schools wishing to purchase stretchers as part of their medical equipment for football matches could be called on to fork out as much as $70,000 plus tax. The two types of stretchers used are the wheeled (gurney, trolley, bed or cart) or the basic cot that must be carried by two or more people. The issue of having stretchers as part of schools’ medical equipment at matches was thrown into the spotlight on Tuesday, when Dominic James, captain of St George’s College, collapsed during a Manning Cup match against Excelsior High at the Stadium East field. The player was lifted off the field by four men. The 18-year-old, who would have celebrated his 19th birthday on Monday, was seen by medical staff from the school then transported to the University Hospital of the West Indies, where he died. Checks done by The Gleaner yesterday revealed that the best stretchers are not available in bulk locally, and it could take up to six weeks to get supplies from overseas. Jamaica Hospital Supplies, which sells health care equipment and supplies for hospitals in the Corporate Area, said the demand for stretchers went up after James’ sudden death. The manual stretchers (cots) are the length-wise fold type and could cost up to $63,100 plus tax. According to a senior employee, who wished to remain anonymous, they were down to just 10 stretchers. “There has been a spike in orders since yesterday,” the employee said, adding that schools were among the institutions rushing to place orders. Another Corporate Area-based firm, Medical Disposables and Supplies Limited, said they wouldn’t have a vast quantity of stretchers in stock, but once schools submit an order, they could source the equipment. Managing Director Mertis Boothe said if a school needed a stretcher, the institution would be asked to decide on the type it would need. “We would have to bring them in as they are not manufactured in Jamaica,” Boothe said. SPIKE IN DEMAND
I-League I-League 2017-18: No bid from Rajasthan as Ozone FC & Gokulam FC vie for direct entry! Goal Last updated 2 years ago 05:49 17/9/2017 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) AIFF Media I-League Ozone The Indian FA only has to deliberate between two bids as no bid arrived from a Rajasthan-based party for a spot in the league… The All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) I-League Bid Evaluation Committee, set to meet next week, will only have to two bids to evaluate after it emerged that a Rajasthan-based group failed to table their bid. This leaves just Kerala-based Gokulam FC and Bengaluru’s Ozone FC as the only two parties to have submitted a bid for a direct spot in the I-League for the coming season. Price Waterhouse Coopers (PwC) are the independent auditors who go through the bid documents of each interested party and place their thoughts in front of the Bid Evaluation Committee, which was set to meet on 15th but have pushed the meeting back after PwC needed more time to go through the bid documents. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘I’m getting better’ – Can Man Utd flop Fred save his Old Trafford career? Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing It is to be noted that the AIFF had rejected the initial bids from Gokulam FC, Ozone FC and another Rajasthan-based group early last month because of incomplete and unsatisfactory bids.The governing body went on to invite bids again and Gokulam FC and Ozone FC have re-submitted their bids while the rumoured third bid from another Rajasthan-based group never materialised, leaving the aforementioned two teams competing for the spot(s). The I-League already has nine teams, with the inclusion of the Arrows, and it is likely that the AIFF will select only one of the two bids. But it is also possible that they may choose not to select either.It will be interesting to see whether the AIFF decides to add any team into the I-League for the 2017-18 season.