Musa Bility Dodges US$190,800 Tax Payment Again

first_imgThe lawyer representing Musa Bility has again failed to appear before the Tax Court to complete the full payment of US$47,700, which constitutes 25% of US$190,800 tax due government.The money also includes 6 percent interest, according to the Tax Court at the Temple of Justice.Cllr. Theophilus Gould, representing Bility, was expected to appear at the court on October 24 to make final payment of the 25 percent tax debt, but to date Cllr. Gould is yet to do so.Interestingly, the Court is relenting to compel Bility to pay government’s legitimate tax. Bility is the owner of Gulf Trading and Srimex Enterprises and president of the Liberia Football Association (LFA).A similar request was made on August 6, 2012, when Bility’s lawyer assured the court that they were going to pay the amount of US$47,700 which constitutes 25 percent of the total judgment of US$190,800.He has paid US$25,000 out of the US$47,700.At the court hearing last week, Cllr. Gould again pleaded for October 24 to complete the payment of the remaining US$ 22,700.Pleading at the court hearing, Cllr. Gould  was heard saying ” Due to arrangements put in place to ensure payment is made on October 24, after which other appropriate measures will be taken to settle the full amount.”However, Cllr. Gould and Bility are yet to appear before the court to complete the 25 percent payment.Their latest action came as a result of a request by government lawyers praying the court to order the immediate closure of the company.In their request, government lawyers contend that because of Bility’s “blatant failure and refusal” to pay its legitimate tax dating from the court’s judgment in 2012 up to present, that his company face immediate closure.In 2012, the court declared the company liable (guilty) in the amount of US$180,000, after Bility admitted to evading tax payments for several years.The case started on May 3, 2010 when government filed a complaint against Gulf Trading and Srimex Enterprises, claiming that the company failed to pay overdue and outstanding   duties owed in the amount of US$180,000 including 6 percent interest.Bility admitted to the allegation and made stipulation on how he would pay the money.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Elephants find sanctuary in southern Africa

first_img14 July 2015Three young elephants initially captured in western Zimbabwe for export to China have been taken to an elephant orphanage in Harare, a wildlife group claimed yesterday.The three – two males and a female – were left behind when 24 calves were controversially shipped to China last weekend.Wildlife At Risk International (WAR) said the three all had injuries sustained before they were captured at the end of last year. “A tail is missing, part of a trunk gone, all injuries sustained while still free in the wild,” the group said.The Zimbabwe Elephant Nursery announced on 11 July that it had taken in three calves, though it did not say where the elephants came from. But the description of the new elephants now being sheltered by the orphanage matches the description of the rescued calves given by WAR.Rehabilitation and releaseThe orphanage said in a post to Facebook that the animals were “calm and well” and would be rehabilitated before being released back into the wild.News that the three elephants are now safe in an orphanage has been greeted with delight by animal lovers. One reader posted to WAR’s Facebook page: “Out of tragedy comes a small ray of light. This is the best news since this whole terrible nightmare started.”“So glad these babies are safe,” wrote another.The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (Cites) said that the 24 elephants sent to Chimelong Safari Park in Guangdong Province in China last weekend had travelled under “valid and authentic” export permits.Free range settingThe Cites secretariat said it had received assurances that the exported calves would be kept “in a free range setting” and would not be used in circus-type performances. But the park they will live in is tiny in comparison to the vast Hwange National Park they come from, measuring only 1.3km2, it has emerged.Zimbabwe’s current elephant population was far too large at around 80 000, the government said, and it needed the money it could raise from the sale of elephants to fund anti-poaching activities.Activists in Zimbabwe have vowed to fight against any future shipment of elephants. “This selling of national assets and heritage is not going to go away – all signs are that it will become much, much worse,” said a bulletin from a group calling itself Concerned Citizens Lobbying Against the Capture of Zimbabwe’s Wild Animals.Source: News24Wirelast_img read more

10 months agoAldridge convinced current Liverpool team best seen in 30 years

first_imgAldridge convinced current Liverpool team best seen in 30 yearsby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveJohn Aldridge says the current Liverpool team is the best seen in 30 years.Aldridge wrote for the Liverpool Echo: “This is the best Liverpool team since the title-winning side I played in back in 1987/88.”Over the past 30 years we’ve had some great teams but none of them have played consistently at the level we’re seeing from Jurgen Klopp ‘s side this season.”We famously went 29 games unbeaten from the start of the season en route to winning the title in 1988. I would absolutely love to see the current crop beat that record.”Can they do it? I don’t see any reason why not. They are 20 games unbeaten already and confidence is sky high after that 5-1 thrashing of Arsenal.”Going into 2019 seven points ahead of City is a great position to be in. Klopp and the players are saying all the right things about keeping their focus and not getting carried away.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

a month agoChelsea midfielder Mount feared long-term injury

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Chelsea midfielder Mount feared long-term injuryby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveMason Mount has revealed he feared he had suffered a long-term injury against Valencia last week.The midfielder was substituted after 15 minutes during the 1-0 loss, but returned to start against Liverpool on Sunday.”As soon as I did it I thought it was going to be a long-term injury,” Mount said.”But then I iced it and it calmed down and I realised it was not as bad as I first thought. The next day I was jogging on it a little and from then I knew there was a chance of me being involved [against Liverpool yesterday].”There is still swelling there now but it is solid and I felt good and I trained the day before. I was pretty positive the day before the game that I would be involved.”He added: “You have to block the injury out of your mind and focus on the game.”When I had that chance which I felt I should have scored I rolled my ankle a little bit and it felt fine. It was fine throughout the whole game. It was solid.”Your Champions League debut, you don’t want it to end so soon, but that is football, it happened, and I try to stay positive. “I looked forward to the Liverpool game and set a goal that hopefully I could get ready for that. I feel like I am a quick recoverer and we worked on it hard and I was able to get back.” last_img read more

Prince Harry Hits The USA For Charity

first_imgPrince Harry received a fantastic welcome when his tour of America began last week – and a glowing tribute from First Lady Michelle Obama.Hundreds of people greeted him on Washington’s Capitol Hill when he attended an event promoting the HALO Trust, an anti-landmine charity he supports.And when he was announced as a surprise guest at a White House tea reception honouring military mothers he received a standing ovation and more whoops of delight from US servicewomen and their children. He was a surprise guest whose attendance had been kept secret from the 170 invited mothers, grandmothers and youngsters.Mrs Obama and Dr Jill Biden, the wife of Vice President Joe Biden, hosted the White House event in honour of military mothers.It was part of their Joining Forces project, a nationwide initiative launched in 2011 to encourage Americans to support and provide opportunities for the military and their families.Before Prince Harry was introduced to the military mothers he had joined their children who were making Mother’s Day goody bags in the White House’s state dining, filling them with bouquets of roses, edible salted dough jewellery and baked crisps.With Mother’s Day traditionally held on the second Sunday of May in America, the children were busy at work. But The Prince soon joined in bending down to talk to the children and pulling faces and joking with the youngsters.At one point Mrs Obama joked that the parents were getting “a couple of minutes of free babysitting”.Earlier in the day Prince Harry was given a deafening welcome when he arrived at the Russell Senate Office building on Capitol Hill for a photographic exhibition highlighting the work of the Halo Trust.He was joined by former presidential candidate Senator John McCain who stepped in as a replacement for his wife Cindy, a leading US anti-landmine campaigner, after she was taken ill.The Prince has followed in the footsteps of his mother Diana, Princess of Wales by supporting the Halo Trust, founded in 1988, and this year the became Patron of its 25th anniversary appeal.Prince Harry also visited Africa to promote the charity’s work travelling to Mozambique in 2010 where, under supervision, he detonated several mines and met people who had lost limbs to landmines.Mr McCain, a former fighter pilot who was held hostage after being shot down in Vietnam, said: “He knew I had been shot down and I told him he was probably a much better pilot than me because he hadn’t been shot down.”The tour will also take The Prince to New York where he will support the Great Campaign, a government initiative which promotes the UK around the world on the back of the success of the Diamond Jubilee and London 2012.Prince Harry will also attend a baseball event in the Big Apple as he promotes a sports programme involving his Royal Foundation. On the final day Prince Harry will play in the Sentebale Polo Cup in aid of his Africa-based charity.Source:PrinceHenryOfWales.orglast_img read more

Union for Safeway workers in Manitoba reach tentative deal with company

first_imgWINNIPEG – The union representing about 2,200 employees at Safeway stores in Manitoba says a deal has been struck in contract negotiations, just hours before it had said they would be in a legal strike position.The United Food and Commercial Workers Local 832 says in a statement that a tentative agreement was reached Saturday evening with Sobeys West Inc.The workers voted 98 per cent in favour of a strike to back contract demands earlier this month, although no strike date was set.The union had said it would be legally able to strike Sunday, the day after the current contract expired.Details of the tentative agreement will be presented to the members at meetings across the province next Sunday, and a vote will be held on it then.The union says the bargaining committee will be recommending that members accept the tentative agreement.last_img read more

US China raise tariffs in new round of trade dispute

first_imgBEIJING, China – The United States and China went ahead with tariff hikes on billions of dollars of each other’s automobiles, factory machinery and other goods Thursday in an escalation of a battle over Beijing’s technology policy that companies worry will chill global economic growth.The increases came as envoys met in Washington for their first high-level talks in two months. They gave no sign of progress toward a settlement of U.S. complaints that Beijing steals technology and its industry development plans violate Chinese free-trade commitments.The 25 per cent duties, previously announced, apply to $16 billion of goods from each side including automobiles and metal scrap from the United States and Chinese-made factory machinery and electronic components.In the first round of tariff hikes, U.S. President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent duties on $34 billion of Chinese imports on July 6. Beijing responded with similar penalties on the same amount of American goods.The Chinese government criticized Thursday’s U.S. increase as a violation of World Trade Organization rules and said it would file a legal challenge.A foreign ministry spokesman, Lu Kang, declined to give details of the Washington talks.“We hope the U.S. side will get along with us to strive for a good result from the talks with a reasonable and practical attitude,” Lu said.Beijing has rejected U.S. demands to scale back plans for state-led technology development that its trading partners say violate its market-opening commitments. American officials worry they might erode the United States’ industrial leadership.With no settlement in sight, economists warn the conflict could spread and knock up to 0.5 percentage points off global economic growth through 2020.The pressure on Chinese export industries that support millions of jobs adds to challenges for Communist leaders who are trying to shore up slowing economic growth.Factory output, consumer spending and other indicators were weaker than expected in July. Beijing has responded by pumping money into financial markets and announcing plans for higher spending on public works construction.Chinese leaders have promised to help struggling exporters and ordered banks to lend more freely to them. But they have avoided full-scale economic stimulus that would set back efforts to rein in surging debt and nurture self-sustaining growth supported by consumer spending.Forecasters say the impact of U.S. tariffs on China’s economy is small and manageable for now. Credit Suisse said this month that if Trump goes ahead with all threatened U.S. increases, the “worst case” outlook would cut China’s economic growth by 0.2 percentage points this year and 1.3 per cent in 2019.The International Monetary Fund’s growth forecast for China this year is 6.5 per cent, down from last year’s 6.8 per cent and more than double the U.S. forecast of 2.9 per cent.Ahead of the Washington talks, Chinese state TV mocked Trump with a sarcastic video posted on the YouTube and other social media pages of its international arm, China Global Television Network.“You are great,” says a presenter on the nearly three-minute English-language clip, reading a letter that pays a satirical tribute to Trump.“On behalf of doctors, thank you for pointing out the need to wean off American goods like bourbon and bacon,” the presenter says, referring to products on which China imposed retaliatory tariffs.The video appeared to have been removed Thursday from CGTN’s social media accounts.Trump has proposed another possible round of tariff hikes involving 25 per cent increases on an additional $200 billion of Chinese goods. Beijing issued a $60 billion list of American products for retaliation if Washington goes ahead with that.That smaller target list reflects the fact that Beijing is running out of American goods for retaliation due to their lopsided trade balance.China’s imports from the United States last year totalled about $130 billion. That leaves about $20 billion for penalties after tariffs already imposed or planned on a total of $110 billion.Chinese authorities have said they will take “comprehensive measures,” which companies worry could mean targeting operations of American businesses in China for disruption.last_img read more

Maha IAS official shoots at injures wife hangs self

first_imgMumbai: A 57-year-old IAS official allegedly committed suicide by hanging after firing two rounds from an airgun at his wife in the early hours of Friday in Maharashtra’s Solapur district, police said.Vijaykumar Bhagwat Pawar hanged himself after shooting at and injuring his wife Sonali in Marvade in Mangalwedha town in Solapur, over 380 kilometres from here, an official said. The Indian Administrative Service official was posted in the state’s Skill Development department and had previously served as collector of Nandurbar district. “Neighbours heard shouting and gun shots from the Pawar household following which they alerted police. The couple was rushed to hospital where doctors declared Pawar dead on arrival. Sonali Pawar has sustained bullet injuries and is undergoing treatment,” the official said. “We have recovered two empty rounds and one live airgun cartridge. A probe has been instituted to find out what caused the incident,” he added.last_img read more

Reggie Waynes Knee Injury Will End His Season

The Colts’ Reggie Wayne will miss the rest of the season after suffering an ACL injury during Sunday night’s win over the Denver Broncos.Wayne went down in the fourth quarter when he tried to come back and catch a low pass. He wasn’t hit on the play but couldn’t get up after planting his right foot into the turf.Wayne is a big time receiver, so this is bad for the Colts. Last week, he became the ninth member of the league’s 1,000-catch club. The pro-bowler had started 189 consecutive games, which is the longest streak among all active receivers in the league.Coach Chuck Pagano didn’t answer the media questions on whether they would sign another receiver to replace Wayne.