Josh Gordon is no longer a member of the Cleveland Browns. The NFL franchise announced this evening that it was parting ways with the troubled-but-talented wide receiver.The Browns’ general manager, John Dorsey, announced the decision in a statement:“For the past six years, the Browns have fully supported and invested in Josh, both personally and professionally and wanted the best for him, but unfortunately we’ve reached a point where we feel it’s best to part ways and move forward. We wish Josh well,” he said.Browns to release WR Josh GordonStatement from GM John Dorsey: pic.twitter.com/bQmWraH8Nr— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) September 15, 2018Gordon, 27, is undoubtedly one of the most-gifted wide receivers in the NFL, but he’s struggled with off-the-field issues over the years. The former second-round pick had been a member of the Browns since 2012.NFL insider Ian Rapoport has more on the Browns’ decision to release Gordon. He says it’s an “overall trust issue.”“He was late today to the facility, source said. In addition, he was fine at Friday’s practice, then injured his hamstring. The question of how is part of the reason they released him. My understanding is it’s an overall trust issue for a player on thin ice,” Rapoport tweeted.On Josh Gordon: He was late today to the facility, source said. In addition, he was fine at Friday’s practice, then injured his hamstring. The question of how is part of the reason they released him. My understanding is it’s an overall trust issue for a player on thin ice.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 15, 2018NFL insider Benjamin Allbright also weighed in with the following details about Gordon:“To my knowledge there was no new failed test from Josh Gordon, though I’m making some calls now. He was late to report this morning,” he tweeted.To my knowledge there was no new failed test from Josh Gordon, though I’m making some calls now.He was late to report this morning.— Benjamin Allbright (@AllbrightNFL) September 15, 2018Gordon, an All-Pro wide receiver in 2013, had one catch for 17 yards so far this season. He has more than 3,100 career yards and 16 touchdowns.
zoom As the “arms race” for Ultra Large Container Vessels (ULCVs) of 18,000 TEUs and above heats up, carriers must not overlook the value of having a smaller, but more flexible fleet in slowing market, according to the U.K.-based shipping consultant Drewry. There is no going back from this point Drewry says, as the industry has made it abundantly clear that they see these ULCVs as the future. But recent developments have exposed their inflexibility somewhat.The alarming drop in Asia to Europe traffic and a parallel crash in rates caused big carriers groups to take the unprecedented decision to suspend services in the supposed peak season, with some alliances also tinkering with missed sailings in order to try and support higher rate requests.The inflexibility of the ULCVs that can’t operate in any other trade besides the Asia-Europe lane makes it very hard for carriers to react to fluctuating demand and juggle ships accordingly, Drewry says.All of the 10,000 TEU+ newbuildings delivered this year to the end of August have been deployed in Asia-Europe, but it’s where carriers are putting the ships of between 8,000-10,000 TEU that reveals how they are trying to spread the burden of the new capacity as thinly as possible to avoid contaminating too many other trades.The effect of this is that many of these trades are seeing significant upsizing of the largest vessels used. This is particularly evident in Asia to East Coast South America, which goes some way to explaining the rapid fall-off in spot rates in that corridor, according to Drewry.It is a delicate balancing act, and one that carriers cannot win all of the time, but by distributing the new ships widely they do at least give themselves the chance of maintaining some level of balance. Ultimately though, the equation is unsolvable as there is simply not enough cargo to fill all of the ships, Drewry says.
OMAHA, Neb. — Thousands of Berkshire Hathaway shareholders return to Omaha every year to learn from Warren Buffett and celebrate the company he built through acquisitions and investments.But with the 88-year-old Buffett and 95-year-old Charlie Munger leading the company it’s hard for shareholders not to wonder how much longer the revered investors will be in place. Neither has any plans to retire. The shareholder meeting is Saturday.Shareholder Stephen Teenois made the trip to Omaha this year after owning the stock for several years because he wanted to experience the event with Buffett and Munger spending hours asking questions.Teenois said he wants to “soak in everything I can and learn from him.”Buffett has said that Berkshire has a succession plan in place for whenever it is needed.Josh Funk, The Associated Press