Man in his 60s dies after ecigarette explodes while charging

first_imgA 62-YEAR-OLD man has died in Merseyside in the UK after his e-cigarette which had been charging in his bedroom exploded.Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service were called to a property in Penkett Road, Wallasey at 11.39am on Tuesday 5 August where the body of the man was discovered in the living room.Whilst the exact cause of death is yet to be established, the subsequent fire investigation identified that an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the man.It is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.This is the ninth fire involving e-cigarettes in  the Merseyside area alone since 1 January 2013, including the incident on Penkett Road in Wirral.SafetyThe authorities are now conducting an awareness campaign, giving advice on safely using e-cigarettes.Area Manager Myles Platt said the investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but urged people to “always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes”.He added that people should check that their e-cigarettes have a CE certification and that they should never charge them near to or on combustible or flammable materials.Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source.“We understand the impact tragic incidents such as these can have on families and the wider community,” he concluded.Read: E-cigarettes banned from DART and train services>Read: More bad news for E-Cigs: They’ve been banned in public places in New York>last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *