Pope urges oil industry to embrace transition FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Associated Press:Pope Francis told leading oil executives Saturday that the transition to less-polluting energy sources “is a challenge of epochal proportions” and warned that satisfying the world’s energy needs “must not destroy civilization.”The Vatican said Francis held a two-day conference with the executives as a follow-up to his encyclical three years ago that called on people to save the planet from climate change and other environmental ills.Participants included the CEOs of Italian oil giant ENI, British Petroleum, ExxonMobil and Norway’s Statoil as well as scientists and managers of major investment funds. Their remarks on the first day of the closed-door conference were not released by the Vatican.While Francis lauded the oil executives for embedding an assessment of climate change risks into their planning strategies, he also put them on notice for their “continued search for fossil fuel reserves,” 2½ years after the Paris climate accord “clearly urged keeping most fossil fuels underground.”“Civilization requires energy, but energy must not destroy civilization,” he implored.Energy experts and those who advocate fighting climate change expressed doubts before the conference that it would amount to anything other than a PR opportunity for the companies to burnish their image without making meaningful changes.In his remarks, the pope said he hoped the meeting gave participants the chance to “re-examine old assumptions and gain new perspectives.”Francis said that modern society with its “massive movement of information, persons and things requires an immense supply of energy.” And still, he said, as many as one billion people still lack electricity.The pope said meeting the energy needs of everyone on the planet must be done in ways “that avoid creating environmental imbalances, resulting in deterioration and pollution that is gravely harmful to our human family, both now and in the future.”He urged participants to use their “demonstrated aptitude for innovation” to address “two of the great needs in today’s world: the care of the poor and the environment.” He noted that the poor pay the highest price for climate change, often being forced to migrate due to water insecurity, severe weather and an accompanying collapse in agriculture.“The transition to accessible and clean energy is a duty that we owe toward millions of our brothers and sisters around the world, poor countries and generations yet to come,” the pope said.Pope to oil execs: Energy needs must not destroy civilization
Glenswilly notes Seniors have good league win over DungloeThe seniors had their first league outing of the new season against Dungloe at home on Sunday. The lads came away with a hard-earned 1-15 to 2-7 victory over their opponents. Under 16s The U16 boys had their first league game at home to neighbours Termon at the weekend. A great contest which ended in Glen lads victors 3.8 to 1.11.Their next game is at home to Downings this Sunday throw in 12.BingoBingo continues in the hall each Wednesday starting at 9pm. With some excellent cash prizes, the crowds are getting bigger each week. LottoThere was no winner in last week’s lotto jackpot which is now a considerable €,180. Last week’s match 3 winner was M and M Gallagher from Cloghan.CongratsThere was a unification of Glenswilly and St Eunans last weekend after one certain local wedding. Nicola McDaid swapped her loyalties and was spotted outside O’Donnell Park having some wedding pictures taken after walking down the aisle with well-known St Eunans player Kieran Sharkey!U12s Training for the U12 boys continues in the hall on Monday nights from 6-7pm and in the Aura on Friday nights, also from 6-7pm. Please be there each night at 5.50pm.Advertising Anyone wishing to advertise their company on the pitch hoardings should contact Bryan Faul.Items for notes All coaches, mentors and managers and anyone in the club who wants an item included in the notes should sent it by email to [email protected] before 8pm on Tuesday evening.GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY SENIORS ENJOY FIRST LEAGUE OUTING AGAINST DUNGLOE was last modified: March 24th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Glenswilly GAA notes
GUATEMALA CITY – Former Guatemalan dictator Efraín Ríos Montt is expected to stand trial on Tuesday on genocide charges, despite attempts by defense attorneys to postpone the start of the historic proceedings.Ríos Montt, 86, is accused of ordering the execution of 1,771 members of the indigenous Ixil Maya community in the Quiché region during his 1982-1983 regime.The trial marks the first time genocide proceedings have been brought in relation to the 36-year civil war in Guatemala that ended in 1996, leaving an estimated 200,000 people dead, according to United Nations estimates.The strongman was known for his “scorched earth” campaign against people the government claimed were leftist rebels but were often in fact members of indigenous Mayan communities who were not involved in the conflict.The proceedings, expected to last several months, will include 130 witnesses and some 100 experts. Retired Gen. José Rodríguez, a former member of the military leadership, is to stand trial along with Ríos Montt.The former president – who insists he was not aware that the army was committing massacres during his administration – was initially set to stand trial in August, but the date was moved up by five months to March 19.According to the defense team, the start of oral arguments is on hold while judges consider a defense appeal. Ríos Montt’s lawyer, Francisco Palomo, claimed it was “impossible” to start the trial on Tuesday.“What will happen is we’ll all gather, but it [the trial] won’t start,” he said.However, lawyer Hector Reyes, who represents the victims, said court officials indicated on Friday that the trial would begin at 8:30 a.m. local time Tuesday.Over the course of the proceedings, he said, more than 900 pieces of evidence would be presented, including testimony, forensic reports, videos and speeches.The trial is seen as historic by human rights groups.“The prosecution of a general for these heinous crimes 30 years after they happened is testament to the courage and tenacity of victims and humanitarian organizations in Guatemala,” said Reed Brody of Human Rights Watch.The group will serve as an observer at the kickoff of the proceedings.Ahead of the trial, Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina, a retired general who was also accused of human rights violations, caused a stir by saying that no genocide was committed during the war.“I hold the view that there was no genocide in Guatemala, … There was no policy or document or order to slaughter or kill people,” he said last week. Facebook Comments No related posts.