Robbie Keane: Credit goes to whole squad for Euro 2016 qualification

first_imgSkipper Robbie Keane has paid tribute to the collective effort which carried the Republic of Ireland into the Euro 2016 finals. Martin O’Neill selected his 23 men for the play-off against Bosnia-Herzegovina from an initial list of 39, and some of those who did make the cut as a result of injury, suspension or selection decisions had previously played significant roles. And so while it was Robbie Brady who claimed the headlines with his first-leg goal in Zenica on Friday and Jonathan Walters who was the hero of Monday’s 2-0 victory in the return, Keane was quick to praise all those who had contributed to qualification. Brady said: “I fancied it despite the 10 brutal ones I had before that. I knew I had to get one right. I’m just glad Jonny stuck with me. “We had a chat about where I wanted him to go when I was hitting it and he stuck with me, to be fair, and got on the end of it and put away the second goal excellently. “One out of 10 is not great, but when it means as much as that, I’ll take it all day.” Brady, 23, has emerged as one of the rising stars of the Ireland squad during the campaign and was thrilled to have been involved in their big night. He said: “It was just a special night. You grow up dreaming of these type of moments. It’s a bit of a cliche, but you really do. “This has always been my dream, to play in front of an Irish support as good as tonight. You don’t want to let anyone down and it would have been an awful shame with the results that we picked up to let everyone down. “I’m happy for everyone involved – bring on France!” Press Association The 35-year-old, who himself sat on the bench for the final two games of the campaign, said: “Full credit to the whole squad. “I’m very, very proud to be Irish and of the players who are here and the players who are not here also, the players who have contributed as well, the Shays [Given], the Stephen Quinns, Paul McShanes, people like that who have been here from the start. “It’s a shame they are not here tonight to celebrate.” Keane was one of the men who suffered the heartache of World Cup play-off defeat in France in 2009 when Thierry Henry’s handball cost the Republic dear. Six years on, it was they who got the benefit of a questionable decision when Dutch referee Bjorn Kuipers harshly ruled that Bosnia-Herzegovina defender Ervin Zukanovic had handled Daryl Murphy’s cross, and in Keane’s absence, Walters duly obliged from the spot to send the Republic on their way. The LA Galaxy striker said: “Listen, we got lucky, certainly, with the penalty. In the first half, we didn’t create too many chances, but we kept going. But what we did at times, we did very, very well. “The lads up front – I thought Jonny Walters was great again, he got two goals he certainly deserved. He’s been fantastic in this whole campaign.” The tie remained in the melting pot – a Bosnia equaliser would have taken the game to extra-time at that point – until Walters volleyed home a second 20 minutes from time from Brady’s free-kick after the Norwich winger, who was once again employed at left-back, had failed to make the most of a series of earlier set-pieces. last_img read more

ABL: Alab slides to fourth after loss to Chong Son

first_imgSea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew FILE – Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netAlab Pilipinas reeled to their second straight loss after dropping a 92-79 decision to Chinese club Chong Son in the ASEAN Basketball League Sunday at Nanhai Gymnasium in Guangdong Province.Both Alab and Kung Fu were in heated dispute for ownership of the second slot in the standings but it was the Chinese that planted its flag in the coveted piece of land, improving to 12-5 record while dealing the Filipinos their sixth loss in 17 games in the process.ADVERTISEMENT Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer Justin Howard capped off Chong Son’s blistering 26-8 run in the third quarter that put Kung Fu up, 72-52, with 1:46 left in the period.Chong Son never let go of its lead and even bumped it to 23 points, 81-58, off He Chongren’s triple at the 8:39 mark of the fourth.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkKung Fu had three players finish above 20 points with Mikhael Mckinney leading the way with 26 points and 10 assists while Howard finished with 25 points and 16 boards and Anthony Tucker pitching in 23 points and eight assists.Renaldo Balkman put up 29 points and eight boards to lead Alab as they slipped to the fourth spot in the standings. It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacsoncenter_img San Miguel rallies, stuns Ginebra in OT for 2-0 semis lead MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours View commentslast_img read more

Reports – Manchester United want THIS World Cup winner as part of De Gea deal

first_imgManchester United want Sergio Ramos to be included in any deal taking David De Gea to Real Madrid, according to reports.The Spain star, who won the World Cup in 2010 and the European Championship in 2008 and 2012, is reportedly unhappy at the Bernabeu.Barcelona presidential candidate Jordi Majo claims he has been indirectly offered the former Sevilla star and, while Real Madrid did not deny the story, the player’s camp did.That has reportedly upset the 29-year-old, who can play at centre-back or right-back, and he is ready to make a move to the Premier League.Ramos, who contract expires in 2017, has a €180m (£128m) buy-out clause in his contract but could be included in a deal which sees De Gea move back to the Spanish capital. 1 Sergio Ramos last_img