Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Nassau County police are investigating the death of a 34-year-old Seaford man as a homicide after the victim was found dead over the weekend.Officers responded to Thomas Riccobono’s Ray Street home after a 911 caller reported finding him unresponsive Saturday evening, police said.He is believed to have died sometime between 12:30 a.m. and 6:49 p.m. He was pronounced dead at the scene.The victim was taken to the Nassau County Medical Examiner’s office, where an autopsy determined his death to be accidental. Toxicology reports are pending, police said.Homicide Squad detectives found no apparent criminality.
Climate change/global warming is the most important issue we face today. If we don’t do something to mitigate it, all our other issues will be moot, because we will be in the process of going extinct, along with the rest of God’s creation. Almost 100 percent of our scientists believe that this is so. The ones who express doubt are the ones on the payroll of fossil fuel companies.This is what climate change scientist Kevin Anderson has to say: “If our developing nations’ emissions peak in 2030, and decline at 3 percent per year thereafter, and if our developed nations’ emissions peak in 2015 (which they have not), and decline at 3 percent thereafter, we have a 50:50 chance of limiting global warming to 4 degrees C.” This is equivalent to about 9 degrees F. This could be happening as early as the 2060s.What will happen? Seas will rise, droughts and fires will increase, as will hurricanes and floods. Species will be lost. As for humans, we will be stressed for water and food, forced to move by rising sea levels, stressed by heat waves and disease. People will have to migrate to survive, causing wars, chaos and social and economic breakdown. Do you have children and grandchildren? Do you want to see them go through this? I don’t. Please, conserve fossil fuels, give up eating beef, encourage your congressmen to take the subsidies off fossil fuels and beef, and ask them to encourage clean, renewable energy.Jahnn Swanker-GibsonJohnstownMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationGov. Andrew Cuomo’s press conference for Sunday, Oct. 18Foss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motorists Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion
Statewide– Scams targeting electric and natural gas customers are on the rise, with imposters implementing new tactics during the pandemic to trick utility customers out of money and personal information.June 2020 was the highest single month on record for reported scam attempts targeting Duke Energy customers across the states it serves, hitting more than 4,000. The total number of scam attempts reported by Duke Energy customers so far in 2020 – 15,000 – already is approaching 2019’s full-year total of 18,000. In Indiana, Duke Energy customers have reported more than 1,400 scam attempts in June, which is close to the total reports for all of 2019.Scammers have added a new tactic, which promises to mail customers refund checks for overpayments on their accounts if they can confirm their personal data, including birthdays and, in some cases, social security numbers. Generally, Duke Energy will apply refunds as a credit to customers’ accounts and will not contact customers to verify personal information by phone, email, or in-person in order to mail a check.Scam reports also indicate that phone scammers posing as utility providers continue to call and insist customers are delinquent on their bills. The scammer typically claims a service disconnection is pending, rigs caller ID to mimic your utility provider, and demands the money in the form of a prepaid debit card. Duke Energy has currently suspended disconnections for nonpayment.Common scam tactics include:• A call with pre-recorded voice, often referred to as a robocall, with a caller ID display showing the customer’s utility’s name.• A mimicked Interactive Voice Response menu that customers typically hear when they call their utility.• Threats to disconnect the power or natural gas service to a customer’s home or business within an hour.• Immediate payment demands by prepaid debit card.• And, with many utilities suspending non pay disconnections during the COVID-19 pandemic, scammers are now promising refund checks if the customer makes a payment and the pending disconnect was an error. Customers who suspect they have been victims of fraud or who feel threatened during contact with one of these scammers should:• Hang up the phone, especially if it’s a robocall.• Call the utility provider by using the phone number provided on the bill or on the company’s official website, followed by a call to the police.• Never purchase a prepaid debit card or gift card to avoid service disconnection or shutoff. DO NOT pay over the phone if immediate payment is demanded by a prepaid card to avoid disconnection. Legitimate utility companies do not specify how customers should make a bill payment, and they always offer a variety of ways to pay a bill, including accepting payments online, by phone, automatic bank draft, mail, or in person.Customers can learn about recent scams and how to recognize the warning signs on the Federal Trade Commission website www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/scam-alerts.
The Latest: Williams beats Stephens in 3 sets at US Open Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNEW YORK (AP) — The Latest on the U.S. Open tennis tournament (all times EDT):4:13 p.m.Serena Williams has come back from a slow start to beat Sloane Stephens 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 in the U.S. Open’s third round. The USTA says the new quarantine orders mean those players “identified as having prolonged close contact with the infected player will quarantine in their rooms for the remainder of their quarantine period.”___12:15 p.m.Maria Sakkari reached the fourth round at her second consecutive Grand Slam tournament after needing just 55 minutes to eliminate mistake-prone American teen Amanda Anisimova 6-3, 6-1.The 22nd-seeded Anisimova, who turned 19 on Monday, finished with 28 unforced errors and just four winners. Sakkari made eight errors. The 15th-seeded Sakkari entered 2020 with an 0-7 record in third-round matches at major championships. But she finally won at that stage at the Australian Open in January, then did it again Saturday in Louis Armstrong Stadium.Normally the Grand Slam circuit would head to Paris and London between Melbourne and New York. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the French Open was postponed from May until late September and Wimbledon was canceled for the first time in 75 years. Sakkari will play Serena Williams or Sloane Stephens next.___ Associated Press September 5, 2020 Williams’ victory in Arthur Ashe Stadium on Saturday allowed her to avoid what would have been her earliest exit at Flushing Meadows since she lost in the third round in her tournament debut all the way back in 1998.Williams was 16 then and had yet to win a Grand Slam title. She turns 39 in three weeks and is pursuing her 24th major championship in singles.Williams will face Maria Sakkari of Greece in the fourth round.___3:40 p.m. 11:30 a.m.Day 6 has started at the year’s second Grand Slam tournament — the U.S. Open normally closes the major tennis championship season but the pandemic caused changes to the calendar.The sun is shining and the temperature is in the mid-70s Fahrenheit (mid-20s Celsius) as the third round continues Saturday.Among the matches underway: No. 15 Maria Sakkari of Greece is facing No. 22 Amanda Anisimova of the U.S. in Louis Armstrong Stadium.The highlight of the afternoon is expected to be Serena Williams against Sloane Stephens in Arthur Ashe Stadium. Serena Williams and Sloane Stephens are heading to a third set in their third-round showdown at the U.S. Open.Stephens took the first set 6-2, and Williams grabbed the second by the same score.Williams has won six of her 23 Grand Slam singles titles at Flushing Meadows. Stephens won the 2017 title in New York.___2:45 p.m. 2:25 p.m.Kristina Mladenovic and her partner, Timea Babos, have been dropped from the U.S. Open women’s doubles competition after Mladenovic was issued a quarantine notice by public health officials of Nassau County, New York.The U.S. Tennis Association announced the withdrawal Saturday, saying it was “obligated to adhere to government guidance.”Mladenovic was one of seven players placed under extra restrictions during the tournament after contact tracing determined she potentially could have been exposed to COVID-19 by Benoit Paire, the only entrant to test positive.Mladenovic had been allowed to continue to compete in singles. She won in the first round but lost in the second round after blowing a 6-1, 5-1 lead. Serena Williams and Sloane Stephens have started their third-round U.S. Open match in Arthur Ashe Stadium.Williams has won six of her 23 Grand Slam singles titles at Flushing Meadows; Stephens won the 2017 title in New York.That matchup follows 2019 runner-up Daniil Medvedev’s 6-3, 6-3, 6-2 victory over American wild-card entry J.J. Wolf in Ashe.Other third-round winners Saturday include No. 10 Andrey Rublev in the men’s draw, and No. 16 Elise Mertens in the women’s, both in straight sets.___ Williams owns 23 Grand Slam singles titles, including six in New York. Stephens won the 2017 U.S. Open.___More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/apf-Tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed Magic Johnson has always been a hard act to follow.After the 59-year-old Hall of Famer resigned last month as Lakers team president, the franchise has decided not to appoint a successor.An ESPN report outlines that the Lakers will keep their power structure as it’s been operating since April 9, with General Manager Rob Pelinka as the chief basketball decision-maker. He’ll report directly to team owner Jeanie Buss.While the Lakers haven’t shown a pressing concern to replace Johnson, the report is the most definitive indicator yet that the Lakers aren’t searching for a new team president. The streamlined power structure would both serve to increase Pelinka’s influence in the organization, as he previously reported to Johnson, while also increasing his accountability for the Lakers’ state of affairs. The Lakers are preparing to publicly introduce Vogel on Monday. Since his hiring became official earlier this week, the 45-year-old former Indiana Pacers and Orlando Magic coach has been in Chicago with other Lakers officials for the NBA Draft Combine conducting interviews and evaluating prospects.TOP DRAFT TARGETS PLAY COY AT COMBINEIf it feels like there’s not a lot of information available about the Lakers’ potential targets at No. 4 following the NBA Draft Combine, get used to it.It’s a commonly used tactic at the top of the draft to withhold information, in the interest of protecting one’s stock, rather than sharing. With the Lakers slotted for a top-five pick, many of the players who have been rated in their draft range are participating only in portions of the league’s annual meat market in Chicago.Related Articles How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions Several top prospects, including Duke’s Zion Williamson, Murray State’s Ja Morant, Duke’s R.J. Barrett, Vanderbilt’s Darius Garland and Virginia’s De’Andre Hunter opted out of testing altogether. Others who might be on the Lakers’ radar were more choosy: Duke’s Cam Reddish and Texas Tech’s Jarrett Culver did body measurements but opted out of athletic testing and shooting. Most of the projected first-round prospects did not participate in the Combine scrimmages Thursday and Friday.It’s a path that is well-tread by the Lakers, who have had the No. 2 overall pick in three of the previous four drafts, picks that became D’Angelo Russell, Brandon Ingram and Lonzo Ball. Top prospects generally schedule private workouts for the teams in position to select them.Reddish, one of the vaunted Duke trio who is expected to be taken in the top 10, said he had met with the Lakers among many other teams. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersThe team’s urgency is building to return to the postseason after a six-season absence. Among the more impactful decisions Pelinka will be charged with include how to use the Lakers’ No. 4 overall pick in the draft on June 20, as well as how to recruit from a heralded class of free agents hitting the market on July 1.Pelinka, 49, has been general manager since early 2017 when he was brought in by Buss to work alongside Johnson. The larger bulk of his professional experience has been as an agent, when his most high-profile client was Kobe Bryant.Buss and other front office figures have largely been tight-lipped since Johnson departed in dramatic fashion, with an impromptu press conference before the Lakers’ regular-season finale on April 9. While Buss, team advisor Kurt Rambis and other top officials have been heavily involved in the team’s coaching search which eventually yielded Frank Vogel, only Pelinka has so far spoken to reporters on the record, most recently after the Lakers’ secured the No. 4 pick at the NBA Draft Lottery in Chicago.Pelinka insisted on Tuesday night that his role as GM hadn’t changed for draft preparations despite Johnson’s abdication.“My role as the GM right now is the same as it was when we selected Lonzo Ball (in 2017) with the second pick, which is our last high pick,” he said. “My role hasn’t changed since then.” Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error