Wenger expects stronger Ozil

first_img Wenger accepts when he has all of his players available – the likes of England duo Danny Welbeck and Jack Wilshere are still recovering match fitness – then he will have something of a selection headache. The Gunners boss revealed he saw Ozil’s role as “central…. behind the striker – or on the flank where he doesn’t like to play”, but is confident his squad have enough talent to adapt. “In our team anyway it is very flexible, when you play on the flank, to move inside,” he said. “Usually we have one player who is a raw winger and one player who is more midfielder player out there – until now it was Santi (Cazorla) many times, but I don’t know I have not decided yet.” In Ozil’s absence, Alexis Sanchez has become Arsenal’s talisman, the £32million summer recruit from Barcelona settling in much quicker to the Premier League. Wenger added: “Ozil is a fantastic player. He will come back very strong and we are in a position where we have the luxury to have him back now and where we have some players who are completely fresh and rested. “It can be very interesting if you manage to use them well. “At the moment for me it is a bit sensitive as every game is every important and I have to use players who have not played for four months. “(Theo) Walcott has been out for one year, so I have to use them at the right moment.” Ozil put in plenty of hours in the gym during his rehabilitation, in a move which Wenger believes will help the midfielder return stronger for the rigours of Premier League football, which at times proved something of a culture shock last season following a £42.5million switch for Real Madrid. “Ozil is fit and worked very hard and now it is down to him playing games,” said Wenger. “He has worked hard, I think he has taken to the fact that he wants to be stronger. “You have more time to focus on it. Every day he is in the gym, you also you don’t have the fatigue of the games – and it is better when you look in the mirror.” Wenger believes the combination of improved physical conditioning can only help develop the combative side to Ozil’s game. The Arsenal boss continued: “It is not only down to pure strength when you play football it is down to when to switch your strength on and the timing of your switch on, it is about giving a little push with the elbow. “I know players like Claude Makelele for instance were not monsters, but he went for a challenge he had the technique to use his strength in a very efficient way. It is a technique more than a power. “A guy who spends a bit of time in the gym kills his co-ordination and becomes more rigid, winning a challenge is down to flexibility and co-ordination, switching on all the muscles on at the same, right, time and that is not down to (just) lifting weights.” Ozil has just returned to the Gunners squad since suffering a knee injury in the defeat at Chelsea in early October, and made a cameo substitute appearance for the closing stages of the Barclays Premier League win over Stoke on January 11. Arsenal’s club record signing watched on from the bench as his team-mates battled to a 2-0 win at Manchester City last weekend, but along with fit-again Theo Walcott is expected to be involved for Sunday’s FA Cup fourth-round tie at Brighton. Press Association Arsenal can expect to see a stronger Mesut Ozil when the German playmaker gets back into full-on action, according to manager Arsene Wenger. last_img read more

American Post 90 baseball team is bound for state tournament for first time in 2000s

first_imgSumner Newscow report — The Wellington American Legion Post 90 Dukes are bound for the state tournament in Pratt.  They will begin play on July 31, 2013. They won the Zone 4 AA tournament in Wellington against Larned 8-7. This is the first state tournament appearance for the Dukes since the Legion baseball program was brought back in 2010.In their Sunday game, Post 90 beat Pratt who had defeated Larned earlier in the day.   Pratt scored a run in the top of the first, which was matched by Wellington in the bottom of that frame.  Pratt scored single runs in the top of the third and fifth innings to take a 3-1 lead going into the bottom of the fifth. Wellington scored three runs in the bottom of the fifth and held on to win the game.  Trevor Nance pitched a complete game to get the win, which was highlighted with stellar defense including three double plays by Wellington.Larned bested Pratt in the rematch on Monday.  This game was delayed by lightning.  The second game of the evening was to pit Wellington against Larned. Storms were moving in with significant lighting, so the game was delayed until Tuesday evening.Larned returned to Sellers Park on Tuesday evening facing elimination.  Wellington started Adam Condit on the hill.  After a good defensive start in the top of the first inning, Wellington went to work at the plate.  When the dust settled at the end of the first inning, Wellington held a 5-0 lead.  Both pitchers pitched well.  Wellington gave up a couple of runs in the top of the third inning on a Larned hit and a Wellington error.Wellington recovered by scoring two in the bottom of the fourth inning.  After four innings, Wellington held a comfortable 7-3 lead.  Larned plated another run in the top of the fifth inning.    Going into the seventh and final inning, Wellington led 8-3.  Larned managed to make this a very exciting game.  Wellington brought Colin Reichenberger in to relieve Adam Condit.   Larned plated runs with a combination of walks and hits.  Larned was threatening with the score 8-3 with no outs and runners on second and third.  Reichenberger induced a fly, foul ball behind third base, which was caught over the shoulder by Condit.  Larned runner tagged and proceeded home and was safe on a close play at the plate.Larned had moved the game tying run to third base with one out.  The next play Larned attempted a squeeze play.  Wellington first baseman, Connor Burden, promptly scooped up the bunt and fired the ball home.  Jaden Hines was able to make the play at the plate getting the second out.  Larned argued a bit over the call, but Hines had effectively blocked the plate and made the tag. On Reichenberger’s final pitch of the game, Austin Dunn would catch the ball in left field to secure the victory. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (2) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. 0 Vote up Vote down baseball mom · 368 weeks ago way to go boys!!! Thank you American Legion for your support!!!!!! Report Reply 0 replies · active 368 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down flyguys · 367 weeks ago Can we get a bracket?? Report Reply 0 replies · active 367 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more

GAWU, SPU share common ground

first_img…re-hiring of displaced workers in pipeline for 2018The Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) is fighting to keep the sugar industry alive, even as Government and the Guyana Sugar Corporation Inc (GuySuCo) continue to hold out that terminating sugar production at severalGAWU representatives meeting with officials of the Special Purpose Unit (SPU)hubs across the country and dismantling the estates for parts are in the best interest of the country’s economy.On Thursday, just days after more than 1500 sugar workers were issued termination letters, a team from GAWU met with officials attached to the Special Purpose Unit (SPU), and the two bodies have come to a consensus that the sugar operations are indeed viable, especially when measured against closing the estates and leaving hundreds jobless.This deliberation was the result of a request by GAWU to meet with the SPU — which falls under the jurisdiction of the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL) — regarding plans to assume managerial responsibility for Skeldon, Rose Hall, East Demerara and Wales by the beginning of next year.During that meeting, SPU Head, Colvin Heath-London, informed the GAWU delegation that following his assessment of the estates identified for closure and sellout, he is of the opinion that they are viable.He outlined that that when certain costs are excluded from the estates’ overall expenditure, the overheads of their production are generally in keeping with international norms.The SPU Head has singled out the Skeldon sugar estate, dubbing it a ‘gold mine’ – a term different from those used by GuySuCo to describe the facility.The SPU has embarked on a series of initiatives aimed at resuming operations at the estate under its management from the second crop (July) of next year, a release from GAWU on the meeting stated.First on this list of initiatives is the re-instatement of a portion of the displaced workers. There is hope that this initiative would commence early in 2018.In the early stages, the SPU would be concentrating on improving functioning of the factories and rehabilitating the cultivations in preparation for the 2018 second crop. GAWU has pointed out that at some estates it is possible to have a 2018 first crop, and the SPU has promised to look into this.It was disclosed that the two parties have submitted a budget to the Government to sustain operation of the Skeldon estate.Also discussed was an impending agreement with Pricewaterhouse Coopers to be engaged in conducting a valuation of the assets of the estates and preparing a prospectus for investors who may be willing to invest in the operations.GAWU has underlined that with rehabilitation works ongoing, the value of the estates could very well improve, and the SPU has concurred with that observation. The Unit then advised that it would continue to operate the estates until such time that suitable buyers could be found.Meanwhile, directing attention to the Wales Sugar Estate, the SPU has indicated that the factory was largely cannibalized, and therefore diversification into non-sugar crops would have to be pursued; while investors would be sought after in this regard as well. In terms of the Wales cane farmers, it was indicated that the Unit is working along with them to find ways, to continue in cane production and to transport their canes to Uitvlugt Estate.With these agreements in place, both parties are convinced that the meeting was fruitful, given that they now possess a clearly mapped out plan as they forge ahead into the future of the sugar industry. However, the proposals are still threatened by Government intervention, given that newly approved Budget 2018 makes no provision for such grand plans.last_img read more

Casino Club Colonial celebrates 30th Anniversary

first_imgNo related posts. In 1982, when Costa Rica’s casino industry was just being born, Casino Club Colonial set up operations in the center of San José, where it still operates today, in a complex known as “Casa Colonial.”In 1996, the casino expanded its facilities, offering guests a bigger space and plenty of new entertainment options, including poker tables, slot machines, two bars and Magnolia Restaurant. One year earlier, the company opened the Hotel Paseo Las Damas. Organized under the collective Grupo Colonial, all of these services continue operating today, as the company celebrates its 30th anniversary. In late September, Grupo Colonial celebrated with a huge party that included buffet dinner, live music, raffle prizes and the chance to win a Kia Sportage 2012, which will be given away on Dec. 8. For more information or to help Casino Club Colonial celebrate its anniversary, call 2258-2807 or visit www.casinoclubcolonial.com. Casino Club Colonial is located in downtown San José, on Avenida 1, between Calles 9 and 11. Facebook Commentslast_img read more