The Latest: Delays for MLS teams headed to Florida tourney

first_imgThe MLS team had been scheduled to leave by charter Friday. Toronto opens the World Cup-style tournament on July 10 against D.C. United.The New York Red Bulls also delayed their Friday departure, saying a staff member had produced an inconclusive COVID-19 test result. The Red Bulls said they would reschedule their flight once all the test results were confirmed. Six players from FC Dallas and one from Columbus Crew SC have already tested positive in the Sunshine State. They have been isolated and are receiving care while the other members of their delegations are in quarantine pending more testing.Major League Soccer had required teams to arrive in Florida no later than a week before their first game at the tournament, which runs July 8 to Aug. 11 at Disney’s Wide World of Sport Complex in the Orlando area. But issues with test results have caused several delays.___ The Baltic News Service reported the new date.Soccer has resumed around much of Europe in empty stadiums. The Champions League is scheduled to be completed in August at a mini-tournament in Portugal.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Lafayette informed the Naval Academy that it cannot bring its football team back to campus in time to meet medical advisory guidelines established by the FBS.Navy is seeking to fill the date with another opponent.___The Green Bay Packers are optimistic they will have fans at Lambeau Field this season, but they note that seating capacity would be cut significantly and spectators must wear face coverings.The NFL club also acknowledges the “possibility that Lambeau Field will be unable to host fans for games this season” because of the pandemic. Training camps across the league are to begin in mid-July. Kansas has suspended its voluntary football workouts because of an increase in positive COVID-19 cases in the program.The school says it has tested 164 athletes and recorded 16 positives, including 12 football players. It says 45 athletes are currently in quarantine across all sports. “When we welcomed our young men back to campus a couple of weeks ago for voluntary workouts, even with the policies and procedures in place to try and protect them from becoming infected with the virus, events outside of our control has made the decision to pause these workouts necessary,” coach Les Miles said in a statement.The school says the other teams with athletes back on campus will continue their voluntary workouts.___ Reduced seating capacity means the Packers can’t guarantee that ticket holders in the general bowl and club seats will be able to reserve tickets. Season-ticket holders will be asked if they want to be part of a process allowing them a chance to reserve tickets. Those who opt out can have their 2020 payment refunded in full or credited to 2021.___The Latvian soccer federation says its national team will play a postponed friendly at Montenegro on Oct. 7.The match in Podgorica was originally scheduled to be played March 26 but was called off because of the coronavirus pandemic. Chris Antonetti, the team’s president of baseball operations, said DeShields tested positive before coming to Cleveland. The Indians held their first workout at Progressive Field on Friday.Antonetti said DeShields is doing well and has only had “very mild symptoms” at this point. He’ll have to twice test negative before he’s permitted to re-join the ballclub.The 27-year-old DeShields spent the past five seasons with Texas. He was acquired by the Indians in the offseason trade that sent two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber to the Rangers.___The Sept. 12 football game between Lafayette College and Navy has been canceled. July 3, 2020center_img A third Washington Nationals player has decided to opt out of playing this Major League Baseball season because of concerns about the novel coronavirus.Manager Dave Martinez said depth catcher Welington Castillo was uncomfortable playing because he has young children. He joins first baseman Ryan Zimmerman and pitcher Joe Ross among those deciding not to play for the defending World Series champions.The 33-year-old Castillo played last season for the Chicago White Sox and then joined the Nationals as a backup option.___Indians outfielder Delino DeShields Jr. has tested positive for the coronavirus and is being quarantined from his teammates. Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Toronto FC pushed back its departure to Florida for the MLS is Back Tournament to Saturday, saying more time is needed to complete pre-travel COVID-19 testing. The Latest: Delays for MLS teams headed to Florida tourney New Jersey’s premier thoroughbred track is scrambling to follow capacity limits set by the state as it prepares for its opening night of racing.Monmouth Park is scheduled to present a six-race card Friday evening. Track officials said in an afternoon statement that no more than 500 people would be allowed in certain areas, but added that information on a final capacity number would be released later in the day. The Asbury Park Press reported the track had submitted a plan to the state to allow roughly 16,000 people in the track’s outdoor areas, but the plan was not approved. The track has hosted as many as 60,000 for the Haskell Stakes, its signature event. Monmouth Park’s sports book will open but be restricted to 25% of normal capacity. All visitors to the track or sports book will be required to wear a mask and be given a brief health questionnaire.___last_img read more

LATE PUSH: Syracuse scores 3 late goals to stun No. 7 Princeton

first_img Published on April 6, 2013 at 10:36 pm Contact Trevor: [email protected] | @TrevorHass Facebook Twitter Google+ PRINCETON, N.J. — Princeton defender Derick Raabe sunk to the ground and planted his face in the red and black shield at midfield. He remained motionless for 10 seconds, stunned by what transpired. Finally Raabe got up and trudged off the field.Syracuse attack Kevin Rice, meanwhile, pumped his fist and sprinted toward the net where he and his teammates mobbed goalie Dominic Lamolinara.The Orange’s comeback was complete.No. 8 Syracuse (7-2, 2-1 Big East) bounced back from a two-goal deficit with under six minutes remaining to knock off No. 7 Princeton (6-3, 2-1 Ivy) 13-12 at Princeton Stadium on Saturday night in front of 4,610. After struggling to close out the first three quarters, the Orange – fueled by Henry Schoonmaker and JoJo Marasco – finished the fourth quarter strongly to come away with the win.“It was pretty thrilling,” Schoonmaker said. “A lot of guys hustled on ground balls, it was just intense, and it was great to pull out the win.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSchoonmaker finished with a career-high four goals, the fourth coming with 4:31 to go in the game. He caught a pass from Marasco and whizzed a lefty shot over the left shoulder of Princeton goalie Matt O’Connor.The game was tied at 12. The Orange had a chance to do what it failed to do the entire game: close out the quarter.That’s exactly what Syracuse did. Marasco caught the ball five feet outside the crease. The 5-foot-10 Marasco had 6-foot-7 long-stick midfielder Alex Beatty on him, so he used his quickness to burst toward the net. Beatty altered his shot, but Marasco still scored. Syracuse led 13-12 and held on for the win.“(Marasco’s) kind of our go-to guy in that situation and it just shows why he wears (No.) 22,” long-stick midfielder Matt Harris said. “I think he gets a lot of criticism, but he really shines in that 22. I think it showed with that last goal.”Though Syracuse had to come from behind in the game’s final minutes, the Orange led most of the game. SU flew out to a quick 3-0 lead on two goals by Schoonmaker and one by Matt Walters.But Princeton stormed back at the end of the quarter, as it did in every quarter but the fourth. Jake Froccaro and Mike MacDonald scored in the final three minutes as Princeton cut the deficit to one.SU head coach John Desko said he wasn’t surprised Princeton came back on Syracuse multiple times. There was a reason why the teams were virtually tied in the polls entering Saturday’s matchup. There was a reason the Tigers beat Johns Hopkins and Villanova.“With the offensive firepower they have we expect them to come back in games,” Desko said. “Two, three goals isn’t enough with a team like this.”That proved true in the second quarter as well. Once again, the Orange took a lead, but once again Princeton responded. Jeff Froccaro, Jake’s older brother, rifled a right-handed shot that flew by defender Kyle Carey and Lamolinara and tied the game at 5.The trend continued in the third. Goals by Marasco and Schoonmaker were negated as Tom Schreiber and Kip Orban tacked on one each for the Tigers. Then in the final minute of the quarter, MacDonald scored twice from right outside the crease, putting Princeton up 9-7.Desko acknowledged after the game that his team has struggled closing out quarters lately. Against Villanova on March 23 – Syracuse’s most recent loss – the Orange surrendered goals with nine seconds, 17 seconds and four seconds to go in the first three quarters, respectively.“We seem to be – I don’t know why that is – but other teams seem to be scoring with just a few seconds left to go in the quarter,” Desko said. “It’s probably the fact that they know they have so little time left and they made some good plays.”But in the fourth quarter Saturday, Syracuse put an end to the trend. Princeton seized a 12-10 lead on a goal by Jeff Froccaro with 6:57 to go. Froccaro curled toward the middle with Brian Megill chomping at his heels. He had a tiny window of space, but that was all he needed.All signs pointed toward a Princeton win, but Syracuse had other ideas.Billy Ward cut the deficit to one, and then Schoonmaker’s and Marasco’s heroics sealed the deal.“It was a great win for us. We’re on the road and we think Princeton’s a terrific team,” Desko said. “Having a couple two-goal, maybe three-goal leads in the first half and then finding ourselves behind in the fourth quarter it was really big for our guys to come back, regain the lead and win the game.” Commentslast_img read more

Ruthless Chelsea Thrash City

first_imgIn stoppage time, with Chelsea already guaranteed a four-point lead at the top, mayhem broke out following a terrible tackle by Sergio Aguero on David Luiz.The Argentine was shown a red card and, as players piled in, Fernandinho was also dismissed for pushing Cesc Fabregas over the advertising hoardings.City’s goal was a soft one with Cahill displaying technical deficiency, trying to clear Jesus Navas’s cross with his right foot when he needed to use his left.City piled on the pressure after the break with De Bruyne forcing a fine save from Courtois and more comedy defending almost gifting a goal for Aguero before De Bruyne’s open-goal miss from Navas’s cross.It was a costly error as Fabregas found Costa with a lovely, long ball which he controlled on his chest before outsmuscling Nicolas Otamendi and firing the equaliser.Costa then put Willian clean through, the Brazilian firing across Claudio Bravo into the corner before he marked his goal with an emotional raising of his black armband to honour those who died in the Chapecoense air crash.After Hazard had latched on to a long ball from Marcos Alonso to sprint clear of Aleksandar Kolarov and net the third, City’s frustration got the better of them as Aguero’s wild knee-high lunge on Luiz resulted in furious scenes with all 22 players and staff being involved in a melee.Luiz, with his knee bandaged afterwards, refused to be drawn on Aguero’s challenge. “I don’t like to speak about these type of things. Aguero is an amazing player who does a lot for football,” he told Sky Sports. “I want to dedicate this win to the people who died in Brazil. It was difficult to get my head together as I had some friends there. We just need to pray for the victims’ families.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Chelsea came from behind to secure a dramatic 3-1 win at Manchester City and forge clear at the top of the Premier League as their top-of-the-table clash ended in a mass brawl with two City players sent off.Diego Costa, the league’s leading marksman, scored his 11th of the season on the hour to equalise, substitute Willian notched on the counter-attack 10 minutes later and Eden Hazard sealed Chelsea’s eighth straight win in the 90th minute.Gary Cahill had given City a deserved lead just before halftime, slicing the ball into his own net with a clumsy attempted clearance, and the home side had chances to wrap up the points after the break as Kevin De Bruyne missed from three metres when it seemed easier to score.last_img read more