Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 12-year-old boy was fatally struck by an SUV driven by a man with a suspended license in Valley Stream on Thursday morning.Nassau County police said the boy was hit by a GMC Yukon at the corner of South Franklin Avenue and West Merrick Road at 7:17 a.m.The victim was taken to Long Island Jewish Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. His identity was not immediately released.The driver, 29-year-old Austin Soldano of Seaford, was charged with unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.He will be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Hempstead.Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation.
Topics : President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has urged his ministers to focus the state budget on health care, social aid and economic stimuli to combat the impacts of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.Jokowi said the pandemic not only posed a huge risk to public health but also to the economy, with the global economic slowdown expected to hit the country going forward.“I ask you [to focus the budget] on three things: health care to mitigate the COVID-19 risks, the social safety net through social aid and incentives for businesspeople and small and medium businesses,” Jokowi told ministers in his opening remarks of a teleconferenced limited Cabinet meeting Friday. The government announced on Wednesday that it was finalizing a third stimulus package to reallocate Rp 27 trillion (US$1.8 billion) to fund the healthcare system. To fight the pandemic, it will also reallocate up to Rp 10 trillion that was intended for ministries and institutions as well as Rp 17.2 trillion earmarked for regional administrations.“The third stimulus will prioritize health care, including hospital needs and medical devices, as well as the social safety net for those in need,” Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said on Wednesday, adding that the government would also assess the best way to provide cash transfers for those affected by the pandemic.The first stimulus package, worth Rp 10.3 trillion and announced on Feb. 25, provided staple needs and mortgage subsidies for low-income families, as well as fiscal incentives for travel-related industries. The second package, worth Rp 22.9 trillion, provided individual and corporate tax breaks and relaxed export and import procedures.Read also: Indonesia’s GDP to grow 4.8% this year as COVID-19 shakes economy: Fitch Solutions“We are still assessing the scope, mechanisms and the target for the third stimulus but we are very flexible, which allows us to react properly,” Sri Mulyani said.She added that low-income households and individuals working in the informal sector would be given financial assistance, although she declined to provide further details.Indonesia’s economic growth is projected to fall to around 4.5 to 4.9 percent in the first quarter and may plummet further in the second quarter as the pandemic strangles economic activity, the minister said.Bank Indonesia (BI) also lowered on Thursday its economic growth projection to between 4.2 and 4.6 percent this year, the slowest since 2005, from last month’s expectation of between 5 and 5.4 percent. Read also: ‘Desperate times, desperate measures’: Calls grow for flexible state budget amid virusIndonesia had announced 309 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 25 deaths as of Thursday. Globally, the pneumonia-like illness has infected more than 244,000 people and claimed at least 10,000 lives.Jokowi also called on ministers and regional administrations to delay non-prioritized spending. “I urge you to cut spending on business trips, spending on meetings and on purchases of goods that are not prioritized.”“The public’s purchasing power must become our focus, particularly that of the low-income households,” he said, adding that the government would expand its social safety net program to boost consumption through the Family Hope Program (PKH), Indonesia Smart Cards (KIP) and the pre-employment card, among other things.
Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterSunday 29 Dec 2019 11:43 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.3kShares Comment Wright gave his verdict (Picture: Getty)‘When you look at the two games there’s definite improvement in Arsenal,’ said Wright on Match of the Day. ‘You just think what they could have done had they gone with the appointment after the Leicester game at the international break.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘It’s one and two touch all the way and its really quick. Fantastic zip, the fans should be happy with what they’re seeing at the moment but give Chelsea credit for what they’ve done today.’‘Very compact. Very solid. I like the shape,’ Keown added. ‘They’ve had three different managers by the way. Different ideas, different voices.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘It’s the front players, when they go to engage I think they do that really well. Everyone is engaging really very well.‘Chelsea with their system 3 at the back seem confused and Arsenal were really well organised hunting in packs. Everyone attuned to the system. I thought they did it really well.’Where will Arsenal finish this season?Top four0%Top six0%Top half0%Bottom half0%Relegation zone0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsMORE: Pep Guardiola sets Premier League record ahead of Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and Jurgen KloppMORE: Frank Lampard praises Mikel Arteta after Arsenal’s defeat to Chelsea Ian Wright and Martin Keown rate Mikel Arteta’s start at Arsenal after Chelsea defeat Arteta has failed to get a win under his belt thus far (Picture: AMA/Getty)Ian Wright and Martin Keown have both been impressed by Mikel Arteta’s start to life as Arsenal manager, despite the Spaniard failing to notch his first win.The Gunners were beaten 2-1 by Chelsea on Sunday, while they could only muster a draw in his first game in charge against Bournemouth.However, while results haven’t gone Arsenal’s way, club legend Wright has noted the marked improvement in Arsenal’s play, while former centre-back Keown has been impressed with the way Arteta has been setting his troops out. Advertisement
DES MOINES — Republican lawmakers are setting new financing requirements for construction on the public university campuses in Ames, Cedar Falls and Iowa City.Under the plan, the state will provide just 60 percent of the cost for building projects at the University of Iowa and Iowa State University. Officials at those universities will have to raise the remaining 40 percent of the cost from federal grants or private sources. Republican Representative Gary Mohr of Bettendorf, a retired college administrator, said the universities can ask their 50,000 graduates for more money“I’ve done this for 40 years,” Mohr said during House debate. “In this economy and in this world, you can raise 40 percent.”The University of Northern Iowa would be required to raise 20 percent of the construction costs from sources other than state tax dollars. Representative Mary Mascher, a Democrat from Iowa City, said it’ll be hard to raise private donations for some vital projects, like power plants and steam tunnels.“This has enormous ramifications to our universities in Iowa and I don’t understand why you would spring this on us at the last minute,” Mascher said.Lawmakers are hoping to complete the work of the 2019 legislative session by this weekend.The proposal on private fundraising for construction at the public universities is included in a budget bill that’s been approved by the Senate and the House, but senators must vote again on some adjustments House members made.