InternationalLifestyleNews FDA Investigating Whether Diabetes Drug Metformin Contains Probable Carcinogen by: – December 16, 2019 Share A drug often prescribed to diabetes patients is being investigated for traces of a probable carcinogen after it was recalled abroad, the US Food and drug administration said.Health officials are investigating whether Metformin sold in the US contains NDMA, a contaminant that has been linked to cancer, the FDA said in a news release.Testing will also look into whether the amount of NDMA in the drug is above the acceptable daily intake limit of 96 nanograms.The drug is used to control high blood sugar in patients with type 2 diabetes.The FDA told patients to continue to use Metformin while the investigation continues because there are no alternative medications that treat type 2 diabetes the same way.As part of our continuing investigation, the FDA is investigating whether Metformin in the US market contains NDMA impurity, and whether it is above the acceptable daily intake limit of 96 nanograms.Everyone is exposed to some level of NDMA, which is a common contaminant found in water and foods including cured and grilled meats, dairy products and vegetables, health officials said.The substance may increase the risk of cancer in people who are exposed to high levels over long periods of time.“A person taking a drug that contains NDMA at-or-below the acceptable daily intake limit every day for 70 years is not expected to have an increased risk of cancer,” the FDA said.Metformin drugs have been recalled in Singapore, and other regulatory agencies in Europe are also investigating the presence of the contaminant.“Based on the information we have available, the levels of NDMA seen outside the u.s. Are within the range that is naturally occurring in some foods and in water,” the FDA said.There have been no recalls of Metformin in the US.“The agency will also work with companies to test samples of Metformin sold in the US and will recommend recalls as appropriate if high levels of NDMA are found,” the FDA said. “if as part of our investigation, Metformin drugs are recalled, the FDA will provide timely updates to patients and health care professionals.”Earlier this year, CVS announced it will be taking Zantac and other Ranitidine heartburn drugs off its shelves after health officials said that the drug contains low levels of NDMA. Share Share 86 Views no discussions Tweet Sharing is caring!
So Savarino immediately becomes the highest profile walk-on in college basketball, months before the season begins.”He’s earned it,” Krzyzewski told reporters (via ESPN.com). “Michael was a really good player at Durham Academy, well-coached there, they had their best season ever. Played on a talented team this year. Michael is a leader, he’s a good shooter, player. He’s also an outstanding student. He’s able to be admitted to Duke.”Savarino, the son of Krzyzewski’s oldest daughter, Debbie, lives in Durham and has grown up with the Blue Devils, regularly attending games and sitting behind the Duke bench. He even appeared in an ESPN commercial with his grandfather in 2015. Walk-ons rarely make news in college basketball.But Michael Savarino isn’t just any walk-on at any program. Savarino is walking on at Duke, where he’ll play for his grandfather, legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski. Duke basketball tweeted the news of Savarino’s walk-on status by noting, “We’ve seen our guy @michael__sav grow up right in front of us! Absolute gym rat will be a great addition to the squad.”We’ve seen our guy @michael__sav grow up right in front of us! Absolute gym rat will be a great addition to the squad.📑 https://t.co/SSaahHDYVt pic.twitter.com/rgsxJHrSCa— Duke Basketball (@DukeMBB) June 6, 2019″I’ve always tried to avoid that reputation of living in your grandfather’s shadow,” Savarino told WRAL Radio in Raleigh, North Carolina. “I chose this because I feel like I earned it. I feel like I’ve worked hard every single day for this. I wanted to come to Duke because I wanted to be a part of this program. I want to embrace everything about it and just play under my grandfather, who I’ve watched my whole life.”It’s been a dream for me my whole life. But it’s going to be an unbelievable experience when I walk in the locker room with my jersey hanging up saying ‘Savarino’ for the first time. I don’t know how I’m going to react or anything like that.”
The People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) has publicly admitted to not fulfilling promises outlined in its pre-2015 elections manifesto after the coalition Government took office.President David GrangerThis admission was made by PNCR Executive, Aubrey Norton during the party’s press conference on Friday at its Congress Place, Sophia headquarters. In an attempt to defend the coalition’s failure to deliver on its promises, the executive said that no political party can deliver “all” its promises.The former presidential advisor, whilst responding to a question, which requested his views on the performance of his party, stated that the party is satisfied but further added that there are indeed a few unfulfilled promises but chose not to expound further.PNCR Executive Aubrey Norton“…the PNC is satisfied. We have delivered a lot of services, there are things that we didn’t deliver that we promised,” Norton said.Only on Thursday Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo called out President David Granger for misrepresenting Guyana’s reality. Jagdeo pointed to the issue of unemployment, high crime rates among other issues which continue to pervade Guyana, but noted that the President claims differently.The Opposition Leader further pointed to some broken promises of the APNU/AFC Government, this included the liberalisation of the communications sector which was not achieved, and the aspects of the Cummingsburg Accord which were unfulfilled, specifically the role of the Prime Minister in chairing Cabinet and aiding in ministerial appointments.“They broke all the promises. They broke every single one of these promises but either way, the people of this country are getting shafted. That’s it. What bothers me, though, is that he’s not pressed on issues” Jagdeo asserted at his weekly press conference.But most recently, sugar workers flogged the coalition Administration for failing to raise their salaries, which was a promise made during the 2015 campaign trail.President of the Guyana Agriculture and General Workers Union (GAWU), Komal Chand stated that the APNU/AFC coalition, since it took office five years ago, has done more harm than good to the thousands of persons employed in the sugar belt and that many persons continue to suffer as a result of the Administration’s actions or lack thereof.