Octogenarian sells lifelong home in East Brisbane

first_imgVendor Mervyn Cronin with Place agent Jody Green after the sale of 71 Withington St, East Brisbane.AN East Brisbane Queenslander has sold for the first time in 83 years, smashing the reserve when it went under the hammer. The property at 71 Withington St sold for a $607,500, much to the delight of owner Mervyn Cronin. Mr Cronin, 86, moved into the Withington St house when he was three years old and called the highset colonial home until six months ago. “I can still remember walking through the house when we moved in,” he said. “That is probably one of my favourite memories from living (there).” The home at 71 Withington St, East Brisbane was Mervyn Cronin’s home for 83 years.Mr Cronin made the decision to sell when he moved into a nursing home last year.Place Kangaroo Point marketing agent Jody Green said the three-bedroom home in original condition was a classic example of the worst home on the best street. The auction of the property at noon on Saturday attracted nine registered bidders and a crowd of more than 40 people. The home at 17 Susan St, Red Hill sold at auction.Bidding for 17 Susan St opened at $800,000 and quickly climbed to seven figures thanks to the four active bidders. The action slowed around the $1 million mark and auctioneer Justin Nickerson called the four-bedrooms home on the market at $1.005 million. A few bids later and the hammer came down on a $1.015 million bid from a young Newstead couple. The two-storey Red Hill home has been renovated and extended.Matt Chesnais and Amy Carseldine said they were elated to have won a gorgeous home in a great location.“I can’t believe it happened,” Mr Chesnais said.“We came here thinking we weren’t going to walk away with it because we’d been outbid a couple of times on other houses. This was meant to be.”Ms Carseldine said they owned an apartment in Newstead but wanted to upsize because of the market. “We hadn’t thought we’d buy a house yet … but apartment prices aren’t going up and house prices are, so we needed to make the move into a house sooner,” she said. The buyers of 17 Susan St liked its Red Hill location.Urban Property Agents marketing agent, Daniel Argent said the quick sale exceeded the vendor’s expectations.“There were a lot of people who really wanted this house,” he said. “We had 85 groups through in four weeks and a lot were young couples.“I think this house is perfect for young couples because it’s not too big and it’s around that $1 million mark. “Red Hill is still quite good value. If you put this house in Paddington it would have sold for about $100,000 more.” The auction of 71 Withington St, East Brisbane. Photo: Darren EnglandProceedings kicked off with an opening bid of $400,000 and progressed, through stops and starts, to sell under the hammer for $607,500. There were four active bidders and more than 35 bids, with the price increasing by just $2,500 at times. Ms Green said the auction went brilliantly. “We smashed the reserve,” she said. More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home1 hour agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor7 hours agoAuctioneer Mark Frater at the auction of 71 Withington St, East Brisbane. Photo: Darren EnglandMs Green said the buyer was a local man who couldn’t attend the auction and so placed his bids by phone from Melbourne. “He’s going to renovate the property,” she said. “He’s got a couple of young children and he’s going to renovate it to be the family home.”Mr Cronin said he was happy with the sale price and hoped the buyer would return the Withington St home to its former glory. Also on Saturday, a renovated character cottage sold at auction in less than eight minutes in Red Hill.last_img read more

Govt programme slammed as ‘band-aid response’

first_imgRadio NZ 5 July 2016The government is scrapping an established programme for at-risk families for a new one which critics say is not as good.More than a quarter of the 114 Strengthening Families contracts in 10 areas are being cancelled and $1.3 million reallocated to the newly established Children’s Teams.The Ministry of Social Development says it’s about avoiding duplication, but opponents say there’s no evidence to show the new system will work.Strengthening Families was set up in 1997 to better coordinate services between health, education, social services and iwi.Targeted towards at-risk families it sought to improve the lives of vulnerable children.Fast forward 20 years and a supporter of Strengthening Families in Whanganui said it was doing just that.READ MORE: http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/307934/govt-programme-slammed-as-‘band-aid-response’last_img read more