Barkley sets sights on Brazil

first_img The 19-year-old made his debut from the bench against Moldova in the World Cup qualifier at Wembley two weeks ago and has explained how England manager Roy Hodgson has given him the incentive of a place in the squad if he continues his form. “I have set my sights on the World Cup,” Barkley said in his first interview with national newspapers. Press Association “It’s a goal for me. It will be hard, but through hard work hopefully I can get on the flight there. “He (Hodgson) told me to keep working hard and keep doing what I have been doing since the start of the season and if there comes a time that, because I am young, I’m on the bench, don’t let your head go down. “He believes in me. He has high hopes for me. He sees me being able to go to Brazil if I keep progressing as I have done since the start of the season.” However, Barkley, who joined Everton aged 11, has been advised to stay at Goodison Park for the development of his career by the captain of the club’s biggest rivals – Steven Gerrard. Barkley was sent out on loan to Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds while David Moyes was in charge at Everton, but he is now back in the fold and has secured a regular starting spot under new Toffees manager Roberto Martinez. Barkley said: “He (Gerrard) told me I’m from Liverpool, a local lad playing for the team I support, and there is nothing better. “He’s done that throughout his career. He said playing is the main thing, going to another team and not playing would be no good for my development. “I was a bit star-struck when I first joined up but Steven was good to me when I was away. I sat next to him on the coach and he gave me loads of advice. “He said the big hitters are going to be looking at me but the main thing for me is to stay with the club I’m at, the team I support and love, which is Everton.” center_img Ross Barkley might be at the start of his England career but the Everton midfielder is setting his sights on playing in next summer’s World Cup.last_img read more

Baines broken toe blow for Blues

first_imgEverton defender Leighton Baines sustained a broken toe in Saturday’s Merseyside derby and could be out for up to six weeks, the club have confirmed. Press Association Baines’ injury record is good and he is regarded as one of the fittest and strongest in the squad so Everton will hope he can heal quickly and be back sooner rather than later. “It has been confirmed that Leighton has got a fracture in one of the bones in his right foot, which is the phalange,” manager Roberto Martinez told evertonfc.com. “We need to treat that now and see how it develops. It could mean anything from missing six weeks to being back in 10 days because it depends how the fracture heals. “It is in such a specific spot and we are going to see how it reacts.” Gareth Barry filled in for Baines at left-back, a role he performed intermittently earlier in his career, but it is unlikely the 32-year-old will continue there in the interim such has been his impact in central midfield. “Obviously Gareth slotted in during the game and when you have got a player with that experience, he can play anywhere. I thought he did really well,” added Martinez. “We have got other players at the football club who can play in that position, from Bryan Oviedo to Tony Hibbert and Sylvain Distin to John Stones. We have got many options. “It’s going to be a matter of seeing how the players react in training and, first of all, seeing if Leighton is going to be okay.” center_img The England international was forced off early in the second half and although he left Goodison Park walking unaided – despite being given some crutches to use – he went straight for an x-ray on his right foot. After assessment the Toffees’ medical team cannot put a definitive timescale for the left-back’s recovery, with it estimated to be between 10 days and six weeks. last_img read more

Art in the Loft signature fundraiser brings in nearly $9,000 to support community art programs

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, Mich — Art in the Loft held its signature fundraiser Thursday evening, bringing hot food, live entertainment, and exquisite art to attendees.The goal of the event was to raise funds to keep Alpena’s art scene alive and allow residents to participate in activities that contribute to personal growth. Executive Director of Art in the Loft, Justin Christensen–Cooper, says yesterday’s event accomplished just that.“Through the generosity of the over 100 people that we had in the gallery, we brought in over $8,700 to renew our scholarship program.”Christensen–Cooper says the funds will specifically go toward educating specialty groups like the Boys and Girls club and Community Mental Health, as well as offer scholarships to the general public. Although the next fundraiser is nearly a year away, it’s never too early for art lovers start supporting the gallery by making donations, or even planning to be a part of next year’s event. Attendee, Stacey Steward says,“Everybody should come next year to join us for the festivities. There’s always a good time, always a good event, and a good cause.”AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Art in the Loft, Fundraiser, Light up the LoftContinue ReadingPrevious Senator Gary Peters announces $9 million bonus for the Great Lakes Restoration InitiativeNext Mercury will pass in front of the sun on Mondaylast_img read more