Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York An alleged hit-and-run driver was arrested for allegedly killing a 48-year-old Dix Hills woman in the suspect’s hometown of Deer Park on Saturday night, Suffolk County police said.Jalpa Patel was crossing Deer Park Avenue, when she was struck by a northbound Jeep Liberty that initially stopped but fled the scene prior to police arrival at 8:30 p.m., police said.Witnesses gave a description of the vehicle to responding officers and a Canine Section officer stopped an SUV that fit the description on Deer Park Avenue shortly later, police said.The driver, 57-year-old Irene Calderaro, was charged with Leaving the Scene of an Accident Resulting in Death. She will be arraigned Sunday at First District Court in Central Islip.Vehicular Crime Unit detectives impounded the Jeep, are continuing the investigation and ask anyone who may have witnessed this crash or who can identify the victim to call them at 631-852-6555 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
8SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr IT’S NOT UNCOMMON for Jennifer McHugh to break into song while spreading the word about the importance of financial literacy, as well as credit unions and their role in communities.“I try to have some fun with it,” says McHugh, director of public affairs and financial education for $1.5 billion asset Royal Credit Union in Eau Claire, Wis.In introducing a new program called Blue Crew for a Cause, which encourages staff members to volunteer, she sang Luke Bryan’s “High on Summertime” to an audience of more than 500 people.“I’m passionate about our core purpose, about financial education, community involvement, and telling our story,” McHugh adds.Before the 2014-15 school year, a high-school teacher approached McHugh and proposed that six special needs students spend a couple of hours each week working at Royal. continue reading »
ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading » “Credit unions are stronger, and they serve their members and communities better, when they promote greater diversity, equity, and inclusion as part of their business model,” NCUA Chairman Rodney Hood said in a release announcing the agency’s first Credit Union Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Summit.The summit, set for Nov. 6 in Alexandria, Va., will feature panel discussions with experts and credit union representatives on:best practices for promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion;recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce; andcollecting diversity data.In addition, the summit will include a think-tank exercise to generate conversation and solutions to challenges in advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in the credit union industry. The NCUA will demonstrate its credit union diversity self-assessment, “which helps credit unions identify opportunities to strengthen diversity and inclusion policies and practices within their organizations,” the release said.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 12-year-old boy was fatally struck by an SUV driven by a man with a suspended license in Valley Stream on Thursday morning.Nassau County police said the boy was hit by a GMC Yukon at the corner of South Franklin Avenue and West Merrick Road at 7:17 a.m.The victim was taken to Long Island Jewish Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. His identity was not immediately released.The driver, 29-year-old Austin Soldano of Seaford, was charged with unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.He will be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Hempstead.Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation.
Smith said his department is familiar with the recount process, having just gone through it last year in the district attorney’s race when Libertarian candidate Michael Korchak (a registered member of the Republican party) defeated Republican Paul Battisti in a race that involved a recount. Oswego County Supreme Court Justice Scott DelConte ruled Friday that representatives of each of the eight Board of Elections will need to appear in his courtroom beginning at 9 a.m., along with lawyers from the Claudia Tenney (R) campaign, and the Rep. Anthony Brindisi (D) campaign. Tenney currently leads Brindisi by a couple hundred votes in one of the closest congressional races in the country. Once the results are certified, and if the margin remains razor-thin, there is the possibility of a recount. Smith said there are two ways for a recount to happen, both controlled by the courts: if the judge personally determines there is sufficient reason for a recount to occur or one of the candidates petitions for a recount on the basis of irregularities in the vote. While these proceedings take place, the counties will simultaneously be certifying their election results; in other words, the BOEs are recounting all of the votes to ensure they have the correct totals. Once the totals have been certified, the results will be official. The challenged ballots have already been included in the county’s vote totals; if the challenge is successful, the vote will be subtracted from the total. The opposite is true for the administrative rejections, which have not been included in the counts. If those rejections are overruled by Justice DelConte, they would need to be added, or “installed”, in the final count. (WBNG) — The immediate future of New York’s 22nd congressional district will be decided on Monday. During Monday’s proceedings, Justice DelConte will rule over the fates of at least 2,696 ballots. For a link to see the court order mandating this process, click here. A new bill passed this year by the state legislature and signed into law by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) will mandate an automatic recount for any race whose margin is either 20 votes or less, or is within half a percentage point. However, because the law does not go into effect until January, this election will not be subjected to an automatic recount. “The state’s giving us until November 28th to certify our results, but right now we’re going through and making sure all the ballots that were issued match all the ballots that were tallied,” said Mark Smith, the Broome County Board of Elections Republican Elections Commissioner. “(We’re) pretty much doing all the canvassing and recanvassing that we need to do in order to certify our results.” These ballots fall into four categories: ballots where a campaign has challenged their legality, and that challenge was sustained by elections commissioners; ballots that were challenged and the challenge was unsustained by the commissioners; ballots that were rejected for administrative reasons by the commissioners; and finally, in the case of Oswego County, 73 overseas and military ballots that have not yet been touched at all.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: South Africa had included a debutant in the Vizag Test to take on India. On a dry pitch, the Proteas included three spinners in Keshav Maharaj, Dane Piedt and the unknown Senuran Muthusamy. Muthusamy, a left-arm spinner born in Durban and representing the Dolphins franchise and KwaZulu Natal in South Africa’s domestic cricket, has his roots in Chennai. After a mediocre start on day 1, Muthusamy was called to bowl on day 2 with India firmly on top thanks to a brilliant 176 from Rohit Sharma and Mayank Agarwal’s maiden ton.Agarwal and Indian cricket team skipper Virat Kohli had shared a partnership of over 50 and India were on top. Kohli was looking good on 20 when Muthusamy had a dream moment. Bowling a loopy delivery that gripped and stopped on Kohli, the batsman looked to turn it to the leg side but only managed a leading edge that was taken by the bowler. Muthusamy’s jubilation knew no bounds and Kohli could only watch on stunned by the manner of his dismissal.Also Read | Rohit Sharma ‘Opens’ His New Chapter In Indian Test Cricket In Grand StyleMuthusamy’s family moved to South Africa from Tamil Nadu generations ago, the 25-year-old from Durban is no stranger to India, having toured here with South Africa A last year. He has been born and brought up in South Africa but says they are like “any other South Indian family” back home. “Our roots are from Chennai. I have still got family in Nagapattinam (about 300 kms from Chennai). Many generations have passed through but the Indian connect is very much there and our culture is very much Indian. My parents were ecstatic when they found out about my selection (for South Africa) and my debut tour against India makes it even more special. I do yoga back home in Durban which has the largest Indian population in South Africa. We visit temples regularly and some of my family even speaks Tamil. Unfortunately I don’t but I am slowly starting to learn the language,” Muthusamy told PTI before the match.Also Read | Vernon Philander Urges South Africa’s Seniors To Go After India’s ‘Top Dogs’Muthusamy will now make an even bigger impression at the Test arena thanks to the wicket of Kohli. Not many can count that as a wicket for a debutant.
By Bruce Fuhr,The Nelson Daily SportsAfter three weeks of the High School Boy’s Basketball season the L.V. Rogers Bombers have won a tournament, finished second and now have placed third. The Bombers dumped the Brooks Bison 62-40 to capture the consolation title at the Mount Baker Wild Christmas Classic Tournament Saturday in Cranbrook. “This was a 22-point win but it didn’t seem like it . . . the boys were fighting the ball all weekend,” said Bomber coach Blair D’Andrea. “Our passes weren’t clicking. We seemed to be out of synch. But they played outstanding defence through the whole tournament, especially in this last game.”LVR held period leads of 14-8 and 29-22 before breaking the game open with a 22-point third quarter. Clay Rickaby led the way for the Bombers offensively with 18 points. Two-guard John Zak had 15 while Grade 11 center Adam Grace had 13 points.“Player of the game went to John Zak who showed some leadership,” D’Andrea explained. “He showed us some step-and-a-half moves from the middle. John was slashing to the hoop instead of just shooting three-pointers.”The Bombers opened the tournament against a 4A school from Lethbridge, Catholic Central Cougars. And it wasn’t pretty as the Alberta power drubbed the Bombers 87-41.Jason D’Andrea led the anemic LVR attack with 10 points while Rickaby had seven and Zak eight.LVR finished second in the pool by defeating Selkirk Storm of Kimberley 81-58. The Bombers struggled out of the gates, trailing 15-13 before taking a 57-55 lead at the half.In the third LVR blew the game open en route to the victory.“We didn’t play that well . . . on the whole Bombers teams haven’t played that well in that (Mount Baker) gym,” D’Andrea confessed.Rickaby and Zak led the way, scoring 22 and 21 points, respectively. Jason D’Andrea had 18 while Jesse Zak and Adam Grace turned in strong games offensively for LVR.LVR is now 7-2 on the season. The team is idle for the Christmas break. The only action is the Alumni Tournament December 26 at the [email protected]
By Bruce Fuhr The Nelson Daily Sports It wasn’t that long ago that Leaf D-man Riley Henderson led a carefree life. Play hockey, enjoy life and play hockey. However, life took a near-fatal turn for the Richmond native during a trip back to practice with the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League franchise following the Christmas Holiday break. While driving outside of Castlegar in his vehicle, Henderson watched as his life passed before his eyes. His truck hit some black ice, spun out of control before contacting some pavement and rolling down an embankment. “That was probably the most scariest things I’ve ever gone through in my life,” Henderson told The Nelson Daily following Wednesday’s 5-4 KIJHL victory over Grand Forks. “It makes me realized just how lucky I am just to be playing hockey with such a great organization like the Nelson Leafs,” Henderson adds. Henderson truck rolled a couple of times before resting on the four wheels. Henderson, who said he went right into shock after the truck came to a halt, suffered a concussion along with some back problems. The accident caused Henderson to miss a few games before being cleared to play by doctors. However, coaches around the league already knew all about the 6’3”, 195-pound defenceman before the single-vehicle accident occurred. So much so the KIJHL Allstar selectors were quick to make a call to Henderson and the Leafs when a spot became available. That spot became vacant when Castlegar Rebel rearguard Darren Tarasoff listed himself at unavailable for Saturday’s All Star Game in Fernie. “I found out just a couple of days ago that I would be going,” explained Henderson, with four goals and 17 assists in 31 games. “I was pretty excited when I got the call . . . and 18-year-old being picked to go to the All Star Game from the entire league is a pretty special thing. “I called my parents right away to tell them the news,” he added. Unfortunately, what’s good for Henderson turned bad for teammate Darren Hogg. The burley netminder was chosen to represent the Leafs during the Prospect’s Game. But Hogg suffered a leg injury during last week’s game in Golden, forcing the South Okanagan native to pull his name from Fernie. Hogg is not the only Leaf player forced to miss the contest. Nelson’s leading goal scorer Gavin Currie is also not going to make the contest after suffering an injury during the New Year’s Eve contest against Spokane. Currie’s replacement is Ryan Aynsley of Castlegar. Alex Ross, also of the Rebels, is slated to make the trip instead of Hogg. For Henderson, the news of being selected to the Allstar contest couldn’t have come at a better time. Especially after his near miss outside of Castlegar. “I’m going to enjoy this weekend,” Henderson confessed. Even more so than before.ALLSTAR NOTES: Cameron Dobransky and team captain Taylor O’Neil of the Leafs are also slated to be in Fernie during All Star weekend. . . .Friday, the Prospect’s Game is scheduled. After a banquet Saturday afternoon, the KIJHL stars take to the ice for the All Star contest. . . .Next game for Nelson is Friday, January 21 against Kelowna [email protected]
Phelan is being joined by members of the Bombers High School Senior Boy’s squad.The camp is open to girls and boys from ages 8-12.Cost is $5 per session, which runs until 6:15 p.m.Shorts and indoor running shoes are a must.For more information contact Phelan at 250-777-3318 or email at [email protected] Bombers are defending Kootenay Zone Champions. The L.V. Rogers Bombers have yet to start the upcoming High School Basketball campaign, but already the squad is turning in a winning performance after announcing the club has secured gym time to host a drop-in basketball camp for ages 8-12 beginning Wednesday (October 21) at Hume Elementary.”We want kids to come have some fun, learn some basketball skills and meet the Bombers,” said LVR head coach Jeremy Phelan.The camp is set for 5 p.m. Wednesday at Hume Elementary Gymnasium, running every week until December 16.
The community of Gaoth Dobhair is being invited to have their say on the future of the iconic shipwreck ‘Bád Eddie’, which is decaying rapidly on the beach at Magheraclogher.A public meeting will take place in Ionad Naomh Pádraig, Dobhair, this Monday 30th September at 8pm to discuss proposals for the famous Donegal landmark which first washed up in the 1970s and which has remained on the beach ever since.The famous wreck has featured in music videos – most notably the video ‘In a Lifetime’ by Clannad and BONO – and appeared in Vogue magazine. But the structure has become so unsafe that it now poses a risk to the public.Bad Eddie, Gaoth DobhairDonegal TD Pearse Doherty is putting forward plans to have the wreckage removed and replaced by a full-size replica steel sculpture.It is anticipated that Monday’s meeting will give the public the opportunity to voice their opinions on this suggestion and other ideas.Deputy Doherty said: “As many people will be aware, the vessel has laid on the strand at Magherclogher since the 1970s following a storm which saw the boat run aground where its wooden remains have been left rotting ever since. “While the vessel has become a well known and much loved tourist attraction over the years, even having appeared in a number of famous music videos as well in publications and brochures promoting the county, it’s unfortunately the case the rate of decay has accelerated significantly to the point that the boat has become unsafe and now poses a risk to the public.“A few years ago, my colleague Councillor John Sheamais Ó Fearraigh had been in contact with both the local authority and the Office of Public Works in a bid to clarify the status of the wreck as well as to make efforts to have the structure made safe and preserved.“Notwithstanding this, it’s believed that the boat is now beyond salvaging with many now holding the view that something needs to be done to make the location safe for beach goers.“Similarly, there is wide spread consensus locally that – if it is to be removed – then a new structure or other monument should be installed in its place which would act as both a fitting tribute to the boat as well as something which in time could become a potential tourist attraction for the area.”Deputy Doherty continued: “This is why over the last number of months, I have been working closely with Donegal sculptor John McCarron on a proposal for the site which includes a plan to create a replica full-size stainless steel sculpture of Bád Eddie and have it erected on the strand at Magheraclogher where Bád Eddie now sits. “Of course, while this is a proposal for the boat which I have been working on and which I hope to present at next week’s public meeting, it is simply one of a number of suggestions being floated as I’m sure other people may have different or alternative proposals and these too need to be considered.“Needless to say Bád Eddie is an iconic part of this county’s heritage and it holds a special place in the hearts of many people locally and indeed around the world having featured in countless wedding photos, family albums and in other materials down through the years.”Sculptor John McCarron will be in attendance at Monday’s meeting in Ionad Naomh Pádraig, Dobhair, and it is hoped that as many people as possible will and have their say on how they believe Bád Eddie should be re-imagined.Will Bád Eddie be enshrined in stainless steel forever? was last modified: September 27th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Bad Eddie