Investigation identifies 500 Catholic priests and clergy accused of sex abuse in Illinois

first_imgGregory_DUBUS/iStock(NEW YORK) — A new investigation by the Illinois attorney general’s office has identified 500 priests and clergy members with credible claims of sexual abuse against them, all of whom have not been previously identified by church officials and some of whom are still active within the church.On Wednesday, outgoing Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan released the preliminary findings of an investigation that her office launched in August of this year.Before her office’s investigation, the six diocese in Illinois had publicly named 140 priests with claims against them. After Madigan’s investigation began, the Catholic Church named an additional 45 priests themselves.But Madigan’s investigation has found 500 separate priests and clergy with credible abuse claims against them, according to Maura Possley, the communications director for the attorney general.“Because I know that the church has too often ignored survivors of clergy sexual assault, I want to share the initial findings from our work,” Madigan said in a statement released along with her preliminary findings on Wednesday.The Illinois report is the latest update in connection with a string of ongoing investigations into sex abuse within the Catholic church across the country.The names of the 500 priests and clergy have not been publicly released by Madigan’s office and Possley noted that the investigation is ongoing.Possley confirmed that some of the 500 priests and clergy are active ministry, but did not disclose how many and noted that the investigation into the accusations against them continues.Of the 185 priests and clergy identified by the Archdiocese of Chicago and the five other diocese in Illinois, each individual is listed as either deceased or liaised, which means they have been removed from the church, except for three individuals in Springfield who were classified as “not active in ministry.”In the statement released by Madigan’s office, it notes that Madigan “anticipates additional names will be disclosed as her office’s investigation continues.”“While the findings are preliminary, they demonstrate the need for and importance of continuing this investigation,” Madigan said in the statement.Madigan chose not to seek re-election for a fifth term so she will be leaving office in January, but her successor, Kwame Raoul, posted on Twitter Wednesday that he is “committed to continuing this work when I begin my term as attorney general.”Madigan’s report states that the her office “found multiple examples where the Illinois Dioceses failed to notify law enforcement or DCFS [Department of Children and Family Services] of allegations they received related to clergy sexual abuse of minors” and noted that different dioceses used different criteria to determine whether a claim against an individual should be considered credible.“While the Illinois Dioceses have touted their ‘independent audits’ as evidence that they are adequately responding to clergy sexual abuse allegations, the audits are seemingly not designed to discover clergy abuse, but rather are perfunctory, ‘check the box’ exercises done in a routine manner by the same entity nationwide, using a process that does not appear to involve a systematic review of the contents of files or the decisions a diocese made,” the report states.Cardinal Blase Cupich, the archbishop of Chicago, released a statement expressing his “profound regret of the whole church for our failures to address the scourge of clerical sexual abuse.”“There can be no doubt about the constant need to strengthen our culture of healing, protection, and accountability. While the vast majority of abuses took place decades ago, many victim-survivors continue to live with this unimaginable pain,” Cupich said in his statement.The archdiocese noted in the statement that they “stand ready to cooperate with all institutions and agencies that care for children.”There are now at least 16 jurisdictions across the country that have launched investigations into clerical sex abuse following the release of a Pennsylvania grand jury report detailing the alleged cover-up of decades of abuse by hundreds of Catholic priests.In addition to the ongoing Illinois investigation, officials in Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia and the District of Columbia — as well as the Archdiocese of Anchorage in Alaska — told ABC News their offices were reviewing their options and considering taking similar action.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

McDonough on Medicare physician payment policy

first_img Read Full Story The U.S. Senate’s likely approval this week of bipartisan legislation to repeal a long-standing feature of Medicare physician payment policy called the Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) does not mean a new era of bipartisan Congressional cooperation on health policy has dawned, according to John McDonough of Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.Writing in his Health Stew blog on April 12, 2015, McDonough said the likely repeal of SGR represents a decision that should have been made years ago.“It worked by giving physicians bonus payments when overall spending for physician services in Medicare came under target, and whacking physician rates when they overshot the SGR target. Under this wacky plan, the only way a doc could prevent cuts to his payments was to up his or her volume of services provided – so the incentives were nuts,” writes McDonough, professor of the practice of public health in the Department of Health Policy and Management and director of the Center for Public Health Leadership at Harvard Chan.“Bottom line – the SGR structure was bankrupt and took ridiculous time and attention from Congress every year that could be devoted to useful pursuits. The only stumbling block was how to pay for it – and this Congress just can’t find a bipartisan way to finance $140 billion,” he wrote.last_img read more

More than 1 billion people face displacement by 2050: Report

first_imgRapid population growth, lack of access to food and water and increased exposure to natural disasters mean more than 1 billion people face being displaced by 2050, according to a new analysis of global ecological threats.Compiled by the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP), a think-tank that produces annual terrorism and peace indexes, the Ecological Threat Register uses data from the United Nations and other sources to assess eight ecological threats and predict which countries and regions are most at risk.With the world’s population forecast to rise to nearly 10 billion by 2050, intensifying the scramble for resources and fuelling conflict, the research shows as many as 1.2 billion people living in vulnerable areas of sub-Saharan Africa, Central Asia and the Middle East may be forced to migrate by 2050. While some, such as India and China, are most threatened by water scarcity in the coming decades, others like Pakistan, Iran, Mozambique, Kenya and Madagascar face a toxic combination of threats, as well as a diminishing ability to deal with them.”These countries are broadly stable now but have high exposure to ecological threats and low and deteriorating ‘positive peace’, which means they are at higher risk of future collapse,” the 90-page analysis found.Killelea said the world now has 60% less fresh water available than it did 50 years ago, while demand for food is forecast to rise by 50% in the next 30 years, driven in large part by the expansion of the middle class in Asia.Those factors, combined with natural disasters that are only likely to increase in frequency because of climate change, mean even stable states are vulnerable by 2050.The IEP said it hoped the register, which may become an annual analysis, would shape aid and development policies, with more emphasis and funding going towards climate-related impacts.Topics : By comparison, ecological factors and conflict led to the displacement of some 30 million people in 2019, the report said.”This will have huge social and political impacts, not just in the developing world, but also in the developed, as mass displacement will lead to larger refugee flows to the most developed countries,” said Steve Killelea, IEP’s founder.The register groups the threats into two broad categories: food insecurity, water scarcity and population growth in one; and natural disasters including floods, droughts, cyclones, rising sea levels and rising temperatures in the other.The result is an analysis assessing how many threats each of some 150 countries faces and their capacity to withstand them.last_img read more

Rep Tedder hosts indistrict office hours for October

first_img05Oct Rep. Tedder hosts in-district office hours for October State Rep. Jim Tedder of Clarkston invites residents to join him for local office hours during the month of October.“I am committed to making state government accessible and accountable to the people,” Rep. Tedder said. “Taking their issues and concerns to Lansing is my top priority as a legislator.”Office hours take place at the following times and locations:Friday, Oct. 13 from 9 to 10:30 a.m. at the Waterford Area Chamber of Commerce, 2309 Airport Road in Waterford Township; andMonday, Oct. 23 from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the Clarkston Area Chamber of Commerce, 5856 S. Main St. in the Village of Clarkston.No appointment is necessary. Those unable to attend may contact Rep. Tedder at 517-373-0615 or via email at [email protected] Categories: Tedder Newslast_img read more

Legislation to remove roadside cash payments passed by House

first_img Categories: News,Steven Johnson News The Michigan House of Representatives this week overwhelmingly approved state Rep. Steve Johnson’s House Bill 6012, which was part of a legislative package to ensure Michigan drivers will no longer be required to pay cash on the roadside if stopped for a traffic citation when driving out-of-state.Currently, when a Michigan driver is issued a traffic citation in another state they must either provide cash on site, have their driver’s license confiscated or possibly go to jail until payment is made.Rep. Johnson’s bill ensures states work together so that bonds and citations are appropriately settled if a driver from another state is issued a traffic citation.“This change is a common-sense provision that protects Michigan law enforcement officers and travelers from having to engage in an uncomfortable roadside cash transaction,” said Johnson. “In addition, my bill ensures that out-of-state drivers are afforded the same privileges in Michigan if their home state is part of this agreement.”By entering into an agreement with other states, Michigan and out-of-state drivers will be protected from adverse traveling requirements and laws.House Bill 6012 advances to the Senate for consideration.##### 28Sep Legislation to remove roadside cash payments passed by Houselast_img read more