RSF condemns arrests during police raid on Journalists’ Syndicate

first_img Follow the news on Egypt The raid reinforced the climate of terror for media personnel in Egypt on the eve of World Press Freedom Day, which is celebrated today.Journalists’ Syndicate president Yahia Qallash said around 50 plainclothes policemen stormed into the syndicate’s headquarters on the evening of 1 May to arrest the two journalists, who had been staging a sit-in inside in protest against warrants for their arrest and searches of their homes.They are Amr Badr, the founder and editor-in-chief of the opposition news website Yanair (January), and Mahmoud El-Sakka, a journalist who works for the site.In response to this “unprecedented” raid on the Journalists’ Syndicate, its members have been protesting inside its headquarters and on social networks to demand the release of the journalists and the interior minister’s resignation.The NGO Journalists Against Torture has announced a 24-hour strike in solidarity with the Syndicate, which convened a general assembly for tomorrow and announced a permanent sit-in inside until the meeting.“We condemn this raid on the headquarters of the Journalists’ Syndicate and we call on the authorities to intervene to obtain the immediate release of these journalists and the withdrawal of the charges against them,” said Alexandra El Khazen, the head of RSF’s Middle East desk. “Journalists have no place being in prison, especially when all they did was criticize the government.”According to the Syndicate’s charter, a member of the prosecutor-general’s office must know and the president of the Syndicate or his representative must be present when the police enter its headquarters. The interior ministry issued a statement denying that the police stormed the building or that violence was used. It said the two journalists were arrested without use of force, as a result of a decision by the prosecutor’s office and in coordination with the head of security at the Syndicate.The charges against the two journalists include spreading false rumours about Egypt’s decision to return two small islands, Tiran and Sanafir, to Saudi Arabia and inciting protests against President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi’s government.The police prevented the holding of a conference inside the Syndicate’s headquarters on 1 May to mark Labour Day. They also prevented many journalists and demonstrators from entering the building on 25 April, when a series of demonstrations throughout Cairo were quickly dispersed and dozens of journalists who had gone to cover them were detained for several hours.The Journalists’ Syndicate filed a complaint against the interior ministry about the abuses against journalists during the 25 April demonstrations.Sakka, one of the two journalists arrested on 1 May, was previously arrested on 30 December on various charges including membership of an illegal group. He was released at the start of March pending the outcome of the investigation.Currently the world’s fourth biggest prison for journalists (after China, Eritrea and Iran), Egypt is ranked 159th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. RSF condemns arrests of dozens of reporters while covering protests Justice long overdue for detained press photographer Receive email alerts News EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abuses Freedom of expression Egypt falls again in World Press Freedom Index, now ranked 159th Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the police raid on the Cairo headquarters of the Journalists’ Syndicate on 1 May and calls for the immediate release of the two journalists who were unjustly detained in the operation. April 26, 2016 Find out more Help by sharing this information Organisation center_img EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abuses Freedom of expression RSF_en News March 24, 2016 Find out more News News Protest in Egypt / AFP April 20, 2016 Find out more to go further May 3, 2016 RSF condemns arrests during police raid on Journalists’ Syndicatelast_img read more

Thierry Henry reveals why he picked the number 14 when he joined Arsenal

first_imgThierry Henry reveals why he picked the number 14 when he joined Arsenal Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterThursday 14 May 2020 6:40 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link147Shares Advertisement The French striker’s preferred shirt number was already taken (Picture: Getty)Arsenal legend Thierry Henry has revealed that he only chose the number 14 shirt because his preferred kit number had already been taken when he arrived at the north London club.The Gunners’ record scorer made the No.14 iconic during his prolific first eight years at the club, though took the number 12 when he briefly returned on loan during the 2011-12 season.Henry says he would have taken the number 12 – worn by his idol Marco van Basten – when he first arrived at Highbury but Christopher Wreh already had it, so switched to the number of another Dutch legend, Johan Cruyff, instead.center_img Henry wore the number 12 in his four loan appearances for the club in 2012 (Picture: Getty)‘I was with my best friend I remember and I said, “Man he’s scoring.” I swear. I remember that day. I said, “He’s going to score, it’s destiny, this is going to happen”. And when it happened, I swear I remember I was jumping.’Henry added: ‘It is weird and I think for the first time, you know I used to be all moody and upset, you know me a bit weird, but on that one the whole stadium had the same explosion. It was kind of weird.’MORE: Robin van Persie reveals Arsene Wenger’s ‘crucial’ words of advice at ArsenalMORE: Per Mertesacker wants to ‘give Mikel Arteta headaches’ with Arsenal academyFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Comment Henry and Fabregas reflected on their time together at Arsenal (Picture: Instagram / Puma)Henry revealed how he came about his shirt number in an Instagram live chat with Cesc Fabregas for Puma Football after the Spaniard asked him to name his favourite goal, saying: ‘The comeback goal, you know when I came back to play against Leeds for Arsenal.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘It was weird because I scored the goal as a fan. I never had the chance, you played for Barcelona because you were a fan when you were young, you went back, it’s different.‘And also the meaning. It was kind of weird. I came back with number 12, that’s my number actually. Fourteen is not my number. I took the number 14 at Arsenal because Christopher Wreh had number 12, so I didn’t want to take it off him.‘That’s the reason, I didn’t want to take it off him. That’s why when I came back, number 12 because of Marco van Basten at Euro 88.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘But you have to understand, I scored with 12 minutes to go on the clock, 78th minute. That was my 12th game against Leeds, that was my 12th goal, I’m wearing number 12 and we were just turning into 2012. So do you know what that means?’Fabregas replied: ‘No way I never knew that! Incredible. I was at home in Barcelona on my sofa that day watching the game because I never really miss any Arsenal games.last_img read more