Roxana Saberi’s trial begins

first_imgDehnavi, who continues to call himself Hassan Haddad, was one of the torturers in Evin prison in the 1980s. While a judge at the Tehran revolutionary court’s 26th chamber from 2000 to 2005, he sentenced several journalists to long prison terms. He has been Mortazavi’s right-hand man since 2006. It was Mortazavi who was chiefly responsible for Canadian-Iranian press photographer Zahra Kazemi’s death in detention in July 2003. Saberi’s arrest was revealed by National Public Radio (NPR) in the United States on 1 March as a result of a call it received from her father on 10 February. The day after the NPR report, the Iranian authorities confirmed she was being held in Tehran’s Evin prison. Foreign ministry spokesman Hassan Ghashghavi said she had been working “illegally” in Iran. Judicial authority spokesman Alireza Jamshidi said on 3 March that she had been “arrested on the order of the Tehran revolutionary court and is now in detention in Evin prison.” Born and brought up in the United States, Saberi has lived for the past six years in Iran, where worked as a stringer for NPR from 2002 to 2006. She also worked for the BBC and Fox News.Her father, Reza Saberi, told Reporters Without Borders that she had not worked for the media since 2006. She did not have access to news and information as she did not have press accreditation. News News RSF_en March 18, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts IranMiddle East – North Africa “Her writings were just personal notes and comments about cultural and literary subjects with a view to writing a book about Iran,” he said, adding that “she had been concentrating since 2006 on studying Farsi and Iranian culture at a Tehran university.” Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 Organisation June 9, 2021 Find out more News to go further IranMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on Iran News “The Iranian authorities use and abuse this charge to arrest journalists and tighten the muzzle on free expression,” Reporters Without Borders said, reiterating its call for Saberi’s release. The trial of Iranian-American journalist Roxana Saberi began yesterday in Tehran. Judiciary spokesman Ali Reza Jamshidi said she is accused of “spying for foreigners… for America.”—–10.04.2009 – Roxana Saberi accused of spying, a charge often brought against independent journalistsReporters Without Borders is very worried by the charge of spying brought against American-Iranian journalist Roxana Saberi yesterday by deputy prosecutor Hassan Zare Dehnavi (better known as Hassan Haddad), who said that “Saberi has admitted the charges against her.” April 14, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Roxana Saberi’s trial begins After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists Ayatollah Khamenei ordered a crackdown on independent newspapers and journalists in 2000 for “collaborating and for being the domestic centre of enemy activity.” Most of the journalists arrested and jailed in Iran are charged with spying. Among the journalists currently held on this charge are Adnan Hassanpour, Mohammad Hassin Falahieh Zadeh and Mohammad Sadegh Kabodvand. Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists The trial of Iranian-American journalist Roxana Saberi began yesterday in Tehran. She is accused of spying, the charge brought against most of the journalists who are arrested in Iran. She faces a possible death sentence. Journalist arrested in the past on this charge include Siamak Pourzand (in 2000), Hossein Ghazian (in 2004), Parnaz Azima (in 2006), Mehrnoushe Solouki (in 2007) and Yosef Azizi Banitrof (in 2008). All were convicted on spying charges brought by Dehnavi and his boss, Tehran chief prosecutor Said Mortazavi. As a result of physical and psychological pressure, most of them confessed to the charges. Help by sharing this information February 25, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Bengals’ A.J. Green: Sign me or ‘let me go’

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPhoto by Scott Clarke / ESPN Images(CINCINNATI) — Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green isn’t interested in signing a short-term contract extension with his current team, he said on Wednesday.“I’m not into a one-year,” he told reporters. “Give me a long-term [contract] or just let me go.”The 32-year-old has not played this season after suffering an ankle injury during the preseason. He is currently in the final year of a four-year contract worth $60 million.But Green participated in team drills this week for the first time since suffering the injury in July.At 0-8, Cincinnati decided not to trade any of their star players at Tuesday’s trade deadline. They did, however, announce the decision to bench quarterback Andy Dalton for rookie Ryan Finley.“I’m not going to be a guy that says ‘Oh, I want to get traded,’” Green added. “Like, I’m genuinely happy here. We might not win, but I’m happy here.”“But at the end of the day, this is a business. I know my worth and I know what I bring to this team.”And if health is a concern for the team when it comes to a long-term deal, Green says “If they’re concerned about that, they don’t need to sign me. It’s whatever. If they’re concerned about me not being able to play 16, then take the risk not signing me and not [placing the Franchise Tag on] me. We’ll go from there.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved. Written by October 30, 2019 /Sports News – National Bengals’ A.J. Green: Sign me or ‘let me go’center_img Beau Lundlast_img read more

Sen. Becker Begins New Term, Kicks Off 2017 Budget Session

first_imgFacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailShare Sen. Becker Begins New Term, Kicks Off 2017 Budget SessionState Sen. Vaneta Becker (R-Evansville) gathered with fellow legislators today at the Statehouse for Organization Day — the ceremonial start of the 120th Indiana General Assembly. Becker took the oath of office, officially beginning a new term as the State Senator representing District 50.Indiana Supreme Court Chief Justice Loretta Rush led the swearing-in ceremony.Organization Day is marked by the swearing in of new and re-elected General Assembly members as well as the annual first roll call of all state lawmakers. This day also provides each Senate and House of Representatives caucus with the opportunity to organize before session officially reconvenes on Jan. 3.The 2017 session is a budget year, meaning lawmakers will craft a comprehensive plan to fund state government services for the next two years. By law, the 2017 legislative session must be completed no later than April 29.“In the upcoming months, I will continue to advocate for economic growth policies that make Indiana a great place to live, work and raise a family,” Becker said. “As the General Assembly crafts the state’s two-year budget, Hoosiers can be assured that I will keep Indiana’s schools and infrastructure a top priority.”As the 2017 session gets under way, Becker encourages residents of Senate District 50 to contact her with any questions or comments they may have. Becker can be reached via email at [email protected] or by phone at 1-800-382-9467.last_img read more

TBW Mortgage ordered to modify mortgages, pay $9 million in fines

first_imgThe Vermont Banking, Insurance, Securities and Health Care Administration has announced a major agreement with Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corporation (TBW) regarding its mortgage lending practices for so-called nontraditional loans made in 2006.  This agreement will result in a detailed review of TBW s nontraditional loan exceptions, the adoption of the federal loan modification program to assist struggling homeowners, and the payment of $9 million to assist the states in their oversight of mortgage origination practices.The agreement between TBW and 14 State mortgage regulators follows a coordinated multi-state examination of TBW to specifically determine compliance with laws and regulations pertaining to the origination of nontraditional mortgage loans in 2006. Concern over these practices led TBW to stop offering nontraditional mortgages in early 2007 and to make other changes to its internal control processes.The agreement comes as the result of a multi-state examination, led by the Pennsylvania Department of Banking, of nontraditional mortgage loans originated by TBW in 2006. The review uncovered numerous instances in which applicants’ incomes and assets were altered in order to gain loan approvals. Concern over these practices prompted TBW to stop offering nontraditional mortgages in early 2007 and to make changes to its internal control processes.Based in Ocala, Florida, TBW is currently one of the 10 largest wholesale mortgage lenders in the United States. According to Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data, TBW originated 215,880 traditional and nontraditional mortgage loans nationally between 2006 and 2007.The major provisions of the agreement include:The implementation of a loan modification program for loans held in TBW’s investment portfolio that will conform to the “Making Home Affordable” program announced by the United States Department of the Treasury. TBW will also make reasonable efforts to secure any required third party consents in order to modify mortgage loans currently serviced.The hiring of an independent firm, to be approved by the state mortgage regulators, to review TBW’s nontraditional mortgage loans originated from 2006 to 2007 to determine whether additional reimbursement to consumers is warranted.The implementation of a comprehensive compliance program, to be reviewed and approved by the state mortgage regulators, to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and rules governing the conduct and operation of its mortgage business in each of the states.The payment of $9 million by TBW to assist the states in their oversight of the mortgage industry. Half will be dedicated to ongoing development and maintenance of the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS), an online database of mortgage companies and mortgage loan originators used by state regulators. The remaining half will be divided equally among the states participating in the agreement.Affected consumers do not need to take any action at this point to pursue a loan modification. As part of the agreement, TBW will reach out to impacted consumers who qualify for the federal Making Home Affordable program. Under the Making Home Affordable program, the following mortgages are eligible for a loan modification:The mortgage is for the homeowner’s primary residence;The amount owed on the first mortgage is equal to, or less than, $729,750;The mortgage was closed before January 1, 2009;The homeowner’s payment on the first mortgage (including principal, interest, taxes, insurance and homeowner’s association dues, if applicable) is more than 31 percent of current gross income; andThe homeowner is having trouble paying their mortgage. For example, a significant increase in mortgage payment OR reduction in income since obtaining the loan OR a hardship that has increased expenses (like medical bills).Consumers can check their eligibility for a loan modification at www.makinghomeaffordable.gov(link is external).Other state mortgage regulators participating in the TBW settlement include Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois,Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, Vermont and Washington, D.C. HARRISBURG, Pa., June 22 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/  & Vermont BISHCA-last_img read more